Author Topic: Health Problems of SOMALIA!!  (Read 28741 times)

Offline IsseGole

• Global Moderator
  • I am going back to somalia, what about you?
    • Somali Medical student's forum
Health Problems of SOMALIA!!
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »
The health problems of somalia can be shortly defined as gathering of 4 major problems. All the world is complaining of these four devastating issues, but in somalia these factors are widely ignored and, in the absence of central government, they have remarkably incapacitated the health situation in somalia.
The four categories, as I classified them, are these:
1. Infectious diseases; the biggest problem in africa as a whole. Somalia has several recent outbreaks and epidemics of easily preventable diseases like dengue fever and cholera, and is experiencing also many endemic diseases like Malaria, TB, AIDS, ENT infections, repiratory and gastrointestinal infections and infestations. These diseases spread easily and effectively whenever possible means are found.
2. Non-communicable diseases; these are, in my opinion, the second major health problem somalia is suffering from. Diseases like gastric ulcer, renal diseases, hepatic diseases, diabetes, hypertension, different types of cancer, and others are universally affecting the population, especially old age group, and you can hardly find a family without all these diseases. These diseases are lacking minimal care and diagnostic techniques which makes hard to detec them early or even correctly diagnose them.
3. Disabilities due to accidents, wars, etc; in somalia, as there is no security and safe environment for any one, people with gun shots and disabilities due to car accidents and pumb explosions are easily seen when you walk in the streets. Because of the hazards and insecurity of somalia, wars and political and tripal conflicts can explode any moment leaving many victims either dead or injured. Furthermore, the unbaved roads, old vehicles, less experienced drivers, and overpacking of passangers cause accidents on daily basis leaving a respectable number of mortalities and morbidities all over somalia. The burrial of chemial and nuclear waste materials has also a part in the unknown and unusual deaths happening in the country. The external manipulation of somalia situation by other countries is a leading cause of instablity and inability to apply health promotion measures in the country. The orfans produced by ongoing wars and War crimes are also parts of this major problem.
4. Health problems due to ignorance and malpractice; this is a major problem in somalia, if not all africa. The ignorance of people accounts for many problems like using false drugs, neglecting serious illnesses, late visits to hospitals after the disease has already progressed to late stage, going wrongly to the herbal and traditional healers who make the problem even worse. Malpractice of physicians and hospitals has also participated in the mortalities and morbidities that could have been easily dealt with. These two issues are responsible for the increased number in infant mortality and under 5 year mortality. Also maternal mortality, which somalia has it's highest number in the whole world, is a part of this I suppose.
Problems like poverty, malnutrition, floods, and climate problems are major problems, but confined to some parts unlike others and they are social and environmental factors associated with health but not a causative factors like the above mentioned categories.

These are in short, as I think, the major health problems in somalia today.
In the coming days, I would like to talk about the methods of prevention and modes of intervention for these problems as they need to be seriously dealt with.
The solution of the worsening health situation in somalia, my dear readers, does not need highly qualified hospitals and modern technology to be reduced. But, as well, they need to be first noticed. I mean to know that we are having a really serious and exterminating health situation that is easily preventable or treatable. It needs a public awareness and professional training for those incharge. It needs careful plans and priority based long term schedules. Wait for the coming sessions to know how this can be achieved.
Ciise Dheere.

Towards a better healthy Somalia!!
Unless all parts of the society participate equally in the health process, nothing could be expected.

Offline IsseGole

• Global Moderator
  • I am going back to somalia, what about you?
    • Somali Medical student's forum
Re: health problems of SOMALIA!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »
Well, what is the solution of this health situation we talked about in somalia?
If it is not hospitals and high technology, then what is it?
I think it is very simple, theoritically, and easy to comprehend.
We have to solve all the issues we mentioned that are the sources of the problem. we have to reduce the spectrum of infectious diseases, treat the medical diseases, decrease the hazards of environment, and offer professional and well informed physicians to overcome the malpractice.
But how? this seems very difficult, it looks like government's work which we are lacking inside somalia.
As the junior doctors and the future physicians of the country, we are entitled of doing many things that others couldn't do.
To be honest, I am not underestimating what the health workers are doing now in somalia, they do many things, vaccination campaigns, seminars, trainings, conducting studies, and many others. All I am saying is that this is not enough.
It is true that it is our job to do some thing about the health problem of somalia, it is what we are learning medicine for, it is our country what I am talking about. No body else is going to do this if we do not.
So, Is there any body who thinks of something useful to the poeple and possible for us to do, i.e. time effective and cost effective. ???  some thing that is not done right now or neglected, some thing easy to conduct and make many people healthy and happy? any thing?
Ciise Dheere.
Towards a better healthy Somalia!!
Unless all parts of the society participate equally in the health process, nothing could be expected.

Offline Inspiringmed

Re: health problems of SOMALIA!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:18:18 AM »
You bring up very valid points! As far as what can we do, I believe doctors without borders to be a very effective short term solution, and raising public awareness the long-term solution. Somalia is current off the international radar and something drastic must be done to reverse this. 

Offline MuslimDoc

• Muslim then Doctor
Re: Health Problems of SOMALIA!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:50:02 PM »
thanks dr.ciise, you posted an important topic.
This complicated situation can be solved when security and safety are available inside Somalia.
The Muslim doctor shares with the Muslim patient the two main characteristics:
the faith in God and destiny, and the conviction that there is a cure for every disease.

Offline Docasir

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
thank you for starting this topic,
what I thnk that somalia needs today(and by allah it needs many things) is not "elephant projects -like big hospitals and programs -what it needs is to start ''primary health care system-with it well known 8 elements-1-child and mother health care2-immunization3-essential drugs 4-enviromental sanitation5-treatment for common diseases6-health education7-community participation8-infectiouse diseases control,

when we start this phcc system(we donot have to invent -we can borrow from other countries).

Offline Yaxya

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:33:25 AM »
i think that political instabilty in our country is the biggest problem and if we solve it every thing will be okey. in fact somalia was one the best east african nations in its health system in the late 1970s and 1980s .
الأسوار التي تحيط بنا عالية، وعلى من لا يستطيع أن يهدمها أو يقذفها أو يتسلق عليها... عليه أن لا يزين للباقين الجلوس خلفها.

SC Emergency Health Coordinator and Emergency Food Security Coordinator

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 19957
Last post November 09, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
by Admin
Best Histology website (blue histology) Try it -Esp for Students in Somalia-.

Started by Dr.AdnanBoard Basic Medical Science

Replies: 2
Views: 46572
Last post December 21, 2007, 04:19:33 PM
by Dr.Adnan
Medical Group Says Access to Medical Help in Somalia Down Drastically

Started by Terror manBoard Health News and Events

Replies: 1
Views: 35145
Last post January 25, 2010, 07:11:17 PM
by Dudieezper
Nutrition Coordinator - Merlin Kenya / Somalia Nutrition Programmes

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 36837
Last post May 25, 2011, 07:45:32 PM
by Admin
"VACANCY" Medical Doctor Based in Jowhar Somalia (100%)

Started by DrkheyreBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 30853
Last post December 02, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
by Drkheyre