Author Topic: Types of Nurses  (Read 337630 times)

Online Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
Types of Nurses
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »
1- Hospital Nurses (the largest group) providing bedside nursing care and they are usually assigned to one area such as surgery, Maternity, Pediatrics, Emergency, ICU but they sometimes rotate among departments (as somali people we only know this type)

2- Office Nurses (they give care to outpatients in physician's office, clinics and medical centers)

3- Nursing Home Nurses (They do long-term rehabilitation for patients with strokes and head injuries)

4- Public Health Nurses (Work in government and private agencies, including clinics, schools and community settings. they usually focus on populations to improve the overall health of communities and they take part of massive immunizations and other health screening).

5- Nurse practitioners (They are the most advanced nurses, with the power to write prescriptions and independently diagnose and treat patients, other name is Nurse consultant)

6- Registered Nurses (RNs) they are health educators for the patients, families and communities and they also develop and manage nursing care plans, instruct patients and their families in proper care while government laws govern the tasks that RNs may perform.

7- Occupational Health Nurses (Industrial Nurses) they provide nursing care at worksites to emplotees, customers, and others with injuries and illnesses.

8- Nurse Supervisors (they direct nursing activities, primarily in hospitals, they plan work schedules and assing duties to nurses and aides, provide or arrange for training and ensure that records are maintained and equipment and supplies are ordered).

So what type of Nurse you are?

Thanks
Dr.Mahdi

"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline IsseGole

• Global Moderator
  • I am going back to somalia, what about you?
    • Somali Medical student's forum
Re: Types of Nurses
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »
Waaw, that is a lot of nurses, 8 types.
As you said admin, the only type of nurses that works in somalia is the hospital nurses, which are - by the way - of less quality and education.
The other types of nurses require a highly developed country or at least where there is industries, governments, highly qualified agencies and offices. also it needs a high income community (instead of our 73 dollars a year for person), educated community, a place where the basic medical needs (including therapeutic and diagnostic) are available. But in a country like somalia, I dont think so.
Let's us hope that somali nurses in europe and USA will change the nursing situation of somalia and the health system in general.
I hope Hana to be a nursing consultant, what do you think Hana?
Ciise Dheere.
Towards a better healthy Somalia!!
Unless all parts of the society participate equally in the health process, nothing could be expected.

Online Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
Dr.Ciise Dheere, Some Nurse consultants are found in somalia, which are trained by NGOs and they are found in hospitals which steered by health organization like MSF.
They usually choosed after examinations then sent for 6 months of concentrated preparation course then qualified as nurse consultant.
then they give extra training according to the position they will occupy e.g Paediatric Nurse Consultant, Outpatient Department Nurse Consultant, Intensive Care Nurse Consultant and so on.
this is easy for organizations because doctors are not sufficent.
for example, there is more than 10 nurse consultants in galkayo hospital which is founded and drived by MSF-Holland.
there is prepared protocol for those nurse consultants that can't be over-stepped and there should be a doctor that will see the referrals and prescription of certain drugs and treatment of certain disease that are not allowed nurse consultants to handle it.
also they should attend the rounds that is done by the doctor in the morning, and they will do it in the afternoon.
they are not allowed to prescribe second line treatment unless they discuss with the doctor why the fist line treatment failed.
for example drugs should not allowed te prescribe by nurse consultants:
1-antihypertensive ttt
2-anti-heart failure
3-anti-diabetic
7-anti-epileptic
and so on

Regards
Dr.Mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline PrincessMuni

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:05:42 PM »
this is cool,
am a nursing student and soon inshallah i'll start working as Hospital nurse
hopefully in emergency or pediatric but i want to know more about
nurse practitioner or nurse consultant? what do they do and how can i be
nurse practitioner or consultant? anyone has any idea about that??
Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Sofiya

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
asc can any one of you can give me information about registred nurse .iam confused about my speciality options

Offline PrincessMuni

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:04:18 AM »
asc can any one of you can give me information about registred nurse .iam confused about my speciality options

W'salaam  Sofiya, sorry for the late reply. What do you like to know about RN specialities? Any specific department on your mind?
Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

IRC Medical Officer (Kakuma) and Nurses (Hagadera / Kakuma) Jobs in Kenya

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 29960
Last post September 20, 2011, 08:59:33 AM
by Admin
MSF Spain Doctors, Clinical Officers & Nurses Jobs in IFO 2 Refugee Camps Kenya

Views: 29803
Last post October 12, 2011, 11:20:07 AM
by Admin
VACANCIES: Medical Officers & Nurses for Somalia - http://medic-recruit.com

Views: 20924
Last post December 20, 2010, 04:04:40 PM
by Admin
Medical Emergency Response Team, Mogadishu - Somalia (6 Nurses)

Views: 19309
Last post October 27, 2012, 02:30:38 PM
by Admin
36 Vacancy Positions (Midwives, Nurses and Cholera/AWD awareness promoters) - IR

Started by AbdulrazzakBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 19932
Last post December 05, 2012, 06:07:34 PM
by Abdulrazzak