Author Topic: Human cloning  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Dr.Farabadan

Human cloning
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »

This is controversial topic that caused hot debates between scienntists and religious leaders. scientists created dolly sheep cones and then Pigs. but human cloning cann't be performed.

Human cloning is the creation of a genetically identical copy of an existing or previously existing human. The term is generally used to refer to artificial human cloning; human clones in the form of identical twins are commonplace, with their cloning occurring during the natural process of reproduction. There are two commonly discussed types of human cloning: therapeutic cloning and reproductive cloning. Therapeutic cloning involves cloning cells from an adult for use in medicine and is an active area of research: while reproductive cloning would involve making cloned human beings. Such reproductive cloning has not been performed and is illegal in many countries.

The various forms of human cloning are controversial. There have been numerous demands for all progress in the human cloning field to be halted. Some people and groups oppose therapeutic cloning, but most scientific, governmental and religious organizations oppose reproductive cloning.

The first human hybrid human clone was created in November 1998, by American Cell Technologies. It was created from a man's leg cell, and a cow's egg whose DNA was removed. It was destroyed after 12 days. Since a normal embryo implants at 14 days.

On January, 2008, Wood and Andrew French, Stemagen's chief scientific officer in California, announced that they successfully created the first 5 mature human embryos using DNA from adult skin cells, aiming to provide a source of viable embryonic stem cells. Dr. Samuel Wood and a colleague donated skin cells, and DNA from those cells was transferred to human eggs. It is not clear if the embryos produced would have been capable of further development, but Dr. Wood stated that if that were possible, using the technology for reproductive cloning would be both unethical and illegal. The 5 cloned embryos, created in Stemagen Corporation lab, in La Jolla, were destroyed.

this process has more significant for human as stem cell wich can be cured many diseases, but it has its own disadvantages.

so, what do you think about it? w'll it help? would you do it?

never give up learning

Offline PrincessMuni

Re: Human cloning
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »
thought its against islam?
Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Geeljire

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
^^Yes, Dear  Princess. Human Cloning is Forbidden in Islam. Viewed from the Islamic general objectives, rulings, and texts, human cloning is completely prohibited. Islam prohibits such cloning because of the following reasons:

• It contradicts with diversity of creation.
    Allah has created the universe on the base of diversity while human cloning is based on duplicating the same characteristics of the original bodies. This bears great corruption to human life, even though we did not realize all its forms. For example, if a student of a cloned class did something wrong, how could a teacher identify him/her while the whole class had the same features?

• If human cloning is permitted, how will we determine the relation of the cloned in regard to the original – will he be his brother, his father, or even himself? This is a confusing point.

• Cloning contradicts with the pattern of creating things in pairs, as Allah said in His Glorious Qur’an “And of everything We have created pairs, that ye may receive instruction.” (Az-Zariyat: 49). Cloning goes against this principle since it depends on only one gender. And this matter will cause harm to people.

• Knowing that man cannot live alone even in Paradise, Allah, the Exalted and Glorified, created Hawwa’ (Eve) along with Adam to stay with him in Paradise, and thus they would be a source of love and intimacy to one another. It is not only parents who need one another in order to proceed with life, but also their offspring need them both. All these meanings can never be acquired through cloning.

The idea of cloning helps portray one of the Islamic beliefs, namely, resurrection. If man managed to return back to life in a new form, would it be out of Allah’s control to recreate the human beings on the Day of Resurrection! Surely not, as He says, “He it is who produces creation, then reproduces it and it is easier for Him. His is the Sublime Similitude in the heavens and in the earth. He is the Mighty, the Wise." (Ar-Room: 27)"

However, cloning should not be used as an alternate way of human production, even on a small scale. In my opinion, a full-fledged use of cloning technology is haram [prohibited] because it may cause three major problems:

• It may cause danger to the human personality
  • It may cause danger to human dignity and honor
  • It may cause danger to human family and society

Allah Almighty knows best.

Fi Amanallah,
Geeljire ~

Offline Mustafa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »

Salam dear all,

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islamiyyah, p. 216-220 (under the supervision of dr. Mohamemd Saleh Al munajjid)
published this statement on his website:

Allaah has created man in the best of forms, and bestowed upon him the greatest honours. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And indeed We have honoured the Children of Adam, and We have carried them on land and sea, and have provided them with At-Tayyibaat (lawful good things), and have preferred them above many of those whom We have created with a marked preferment”

[al-Israa’ 17:70]

Allaah has honoured him with reason and responsibility, and has made him a khaleefah on earth, to populate and develop it. He has honoured man by giving him the Message which suits his fitrah (natural state), indeed it is that fitrah itself, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So set you (O Muhammad) your face towards the religion (of pure Islamic Monotheism) Haneef (worship none but Allaah Alone). Allaah’s Fitrah (i.e. Allaah’s Islamic Monotheism) with which He has created mankind. No change let there be in Khalq-illaah (i.e. the religion of Allaah Islamic Monotheism), that is the straight religion, but most of men know not”

[al-Room 30:30]

Islam is keen to preserve the upright fitrah of man by preserving the five holistic aims: religion, life, reason, lineage and property, and protecting them from every change that may corrupt them, whether by its cause or its effects. This is stated in the hadeeth qudsi which was narrated by al-Qurtubi from the report of al-Qaadi Ismaa’eel, [in which Allaah says]: “I have created all My slaves as haneefs (pure monotheists), but the shayaateen (devils) come to them and try to divert them from their religion… and they commanded them to alter My creation.” (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/389)

Allaah taught man that which he did not know, and commanded him to seek and examine and think and ponder, as He says in many aayahs, such as the following (interpretations of the meanings):

“Did they not see…”

[Ta-Ha 20:89, etc.

“Do they not look at…”

[al-Ghaashiyah 88:17]

“Does not man see that We have created him from Nutfah (mixed male and female sexual discharge semen drops)”

[Yaa-Seen 36:77

“Verily, in these things, there are Ayaat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) for people who reflect”

[al-Ra’d 13:3]

“Verily, therein is indeed a sign for people who have wisdom”

[al-Nahl 6:67]

“Verily, in this is a Reminder for men of understanding”

[al-Zumar 39:1]

“Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists

[al-‘Alaq 96:1]

Islam does not place any restrictions on the freedom of scientific research, or place any obstacles in its way, because it is a mean of understanding the laws of Allaah in His creation, but Islam also stipulates that this cannot be left without any guidelines or regulations on the introduction of scientific results into the public domain without first passing them through the sieve of sharee’ah, so that that which is permissible may be allowed through whilst that which is haraam is prevented from passing.  So it is not permissible to implement something simply because it can be implemented, rather it has to be beneficial knowledge which serves the interests of mankind and protects them from harm; this knowledge has to protect the dignity of man and the lofty purpose for which Allaah created him. So man should not become the subject of experimentation, and scientific research should not impinge upon the unique identity of the individual and his distinct characteristics, or lead to disruption of the social framework or dissolution of the foundations of kinship and lineage, or the family structure that has been known throughout human history in the shade of Allaah’s laws and on the solid foundation of His rulings.

Among the new scientific discoveries that man has made in modern times is that which the media speaks of a great deal, that which is known as cloning. We have to explain the ruling of Islam on this matter, after quoting some details about it given by a group of Muslim scientists and experts in this field:

Definition of cloning:

It is known that the laws of Allaah concerning His creation dictate that the human being grows from the joining of two cells, the nucleus of each of which contains a number of chromosomes, half the number of chromosomes in the cells of the human body. When the cell of the father (the husband), which is called the sperm, joins with the cell of the mother (the wife), which is called the egg, they turn into a fertilized cell which contains the complete number of chromosomes, and has the potential to multiply. When it settles in the uterus of the mother, it grows and becomes a whole new created being, by the will of Allaah. This cell multiplies, so it becomes two identical cells, then four, then eight… then it continues to multiply until it reaches the stage where the cells start to differ from one another and become specialized. If, during the phase when the cells are multiplying but have not yet begun to specialize, one cell separates from the others, this will result in identical twins. Some experiments have been done in which cells were artificially separated from animal embryos, resulting in identical twins, but nothing of this sort has been reported regarding human beings. This is regarded as a kind of cloning, because it is producing identical copies, so it is called cloning by splitting.

There is another way of cloning a complete creature, which is done by taking the complete number of chromosomes, in the form of a complete nucleus from one of the cells of the body, and inserting it into an egg cell from which the nucleus has been removed, thus forming a fertilized cell containing a complete number of chromosomes and at the same time able to multiply; if it is planted in the uterus of the mother it will develop and grow and be born as a complete creature, by the will of Allaah. This kind of cloning is known as nuclear transfer or nuclear insertion in the egg cell. This is what is understood by the word “cloning” when it is used, and this is what happened in the case of the sheep “Dolly”. But this new creature is not an exact copy of the original, because the egg of the mother from which the nucleus was removed still contains some remnants of the nucleus in the material surrounding the removed nucleus, and these remnants have a noticeable effect in altering the characteristics which are inherited from the body cells, and this also has not yet been reported to have been done with humans. 

So cloning means producing one or more living beings by transferring the nucleus of a body cell to an egg whose nucleus has been removed, or splitting an fertilized egg at the stage before the tissues and organs become distinct.

It is obvious that these and similar procedures do not represent the act of creation, in whole or in part. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or do they assign to Allaah partners who created the like of His creation, so that the creation (which they made and His creation) seemed alike to them?” Say: ‘Allaah is the Creator of all things; and He is the One, the Irresistible’”

[al-Ra’d 13:16]

“Then tell Me (about) the (human) semen that you emit.

Is it you who create it (i.e. make this semen into a perfect human being), or are We the Creator?

We have decreed death to you all, and We are not outstripped,

To transfigure you and create you in (forms) that you know not.

And indeed, you have already known the first form of creation (i.e. the creation of Adam), why then do you not remember (or take heed)?”
[al-Waaqi’ah 56:58-62]

“Does not man see that We have created him from Nutfah (mixed male and female sexual discharge semen drops). Yet behold he (stands forth) as an open opponent.

And he puts forth for Us a parable, and forgets his own creation. He says: ‘Who will give life to these bones after they are rotten and have become dust?’

Say: (O Muhammad) ‘He will give life to them Who created them for the first time! And He is the All-Knower of every creation!’

He Who produces for you fire out of the green tree, when behold you kindle therewith.

Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth, Able to create the like of them? Yes, indeed! He is the All-Knowing Supreme Creator.

Verily, His Command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, ‘Be!’ and it is!”

[Yaa-Seen 36:77-82]

“And indeed We created man (Adam) out of an extract of clay (water and earth).

Thereafter We made him (the offspring of Adam) as a Nutfah (mixed drops of the male and female sexual discharge and lodged it) in a safe lodging (womb of the woman).

Then We made the Nutfah into a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood), then We made the clot into a little lump of flesh, then We made out of that little lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, and then We brought it forth as another creation. So Blessed is Allaah, the Best of creators”

[al-Mu’minoon 23:12-14]

Based on the discussion above, the Committee has decided the following:

(1)        That human cloning using the two methods mentioned, or any other method that leads to reproduction of human beings is haraam

(2)        If there is any transgression of the shar’i ruling mentioned above, then the consequences of that should be discussed to explain the shar’i rulings concerning such cases.

(3)        All scenarios in which a third party may be added to the marital relationship are forbidden, whether that involves a womb (surrogacy), eggs, sperm or cells for cloning.

(4)        It is permissible in Islam to use the technology of cloning and genetic engineering in cases of germs and microscopic creatures, plants and animals, within the limits and guidelines of sharee’ah, for the purpose of serving interests and warding off harm.

Mustafa

Offline Dr.Farabadan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
Thanxxx bro and sis for Ur info.

I understand it's against Islam  and we shouldn't do it.

I have seen lots proofs, but I still doubts that they can last longer or can survive, if those clones are Created.

Do you Think That?
never give up learning

Offline Countess_Vampira

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
Human cloning eh? Interesting...

Personally, I don't think its ethicially viable nor it is actually soundly, scientifically possible to produce human clones. In theory its wonderful but what with the importance of both male and female imprinting genes have on the developing fetus its hard to see how normal a clone baby's development is going to be in comparison to its good old fashioned sexually produced counterparts. I'm doubting its actually possible right now...in the future it might be and so I'm open. However...It is wrong. Why? Well ethically speaking does a child (a clone in this case) not have the right to establish the same psychosocial foundation of identity you and I have, and indeed all of humanity has since time began? I.e Should a child not have both the right to a mother and a father?

I believe they do...and thus I would be strictly against the use of human cloning. The cloning of vital organs required for transplants however, I'm personally open to. Providing that the scientific technology exists to make such a feat of science safe and acceptable. But as of yet...its still a pipe dream, let us keep the research going its the only way we can improve. Go stems cells I say...though in truth. Using Human embryonic samples I personally find...unsatisfying. The ethicist in me is cautious and wary not to mention addled.

Offline Dr.Farabadan

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »
I am againist It as well but It has got some  advantages.

The possibility of producing not a complete body but just an organ to save the life of a human being who requires the transplant of that organ.

The cloning of a complete human being whose bone marrow would help to save the life of his brother ill with leukemia

Cloning might also enable a sterile woman to have a child from her own body, using any cell from her organism Insha Allah.

It may also improve Stem cell reseach that may result finding cure for many diseases

So, should we ignore all those things?

never give up learning

The Aging Brain Helped By Injection Of Human Umbilical Cord Blood cells

Started by YaxyaBoard Health News and Events

Replies: 0
Views: 19475
Last post June 01, 2008, 09:00:33 PM
by Yaxya
DROUGHT EMERGENGY IN HORN OF AFRICA - HUMAN RESSOURCES NEEDED ASAP (ACF)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 16390
Last post July 12, 2011, 09:56:16 PM
by Admin
HCG Recipes - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Weight Loss

Started by DietDocBoard Clinical Rotations

Views: 20493
Last post March 08, 2011, 02:19:57 PM
by DietDoc
Partial Cat Genome Sequenced, May Aid Human Medicine