Author Topic: NEED ADVICE- HELP BROTHERS AND SISTERS!  (Read 15005 times)

Offline Hodan0708

NEED ADVICE- HELP BROTHERS AND SISTERS!
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Asalaam Alaikum  Brothers and Sisters!

I have a dilemma and  I need advice. I come across this group on facebook and I thought it would be great to get feedback from other Somalis already in the medical field, as well as those pursuing a career in the field. OK here's my problem, I just graduated with my undergraduate degree in Biological science. My intentions are to apply to medical school and matriculate 2009 but that does not look very good at the moment.  Most of you in the US know that the MCAT is required for all medical schools in the US and  you are required to take it before you apply. Well my problems is that i registered late and could not get a seat for the last available examination date for this year, therefore I will not be able to apply this year. As a result I would have to wait for 2010. After breaking down and thinking my world came crumbling down, my friend suggested schools in the Caribbean. At first I never really considered them at all but after looking into it, it sounded like a good alternative. The good thing is that most of them do not require the MCAT but the down side is that they're considered foreign medical schools. If I decide to consider medical schools in the Caribbean, I would complete the first two years of medical school in the Caribbean and then they place into a US hospital to do the 3rd and 4th year rotations. After completing that and additional exams that foreign medical students are required to take, I can practice in the US. So do you guys think its a good idea?  Or should I just wait to apply 2010? All of your advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.  :)

Offline Dr.Noora

Re: NEED ADVICE- HELP BROTHERS AND SISTERS!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
Salam sister Hodan.

you are ambivalent or unsure about a decision you have to make, there is a specific prayer for guidance (Salat-al-Istikhara) that you can do to ask for Allah's help in making your decision. Should you go to Caribbeans Or just wait to apply 2010??Allah knows what is best for you, and if you are not sure about a choice that you have, seek His guidance,that is my advice,

Before any major decision, pray Salat-ul-Istikhara..... Allah Macak.

you're the peace in my soul
that's why I will never really be alone

Dalxiis kaagamaan tagin Dalkeegoow
Dr.Noora

Offline Dr.keyf

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:58:10 PM »
salaam hodan,i agree wid dr.noora.but ill give u an idea as to wat i think.waiting for the 2010 exam is an incredibly difficult thing to do,BUT i will give u an advice tht many might not agree wid.here goes.....if u do medicine elsewhere u have to be ready for the consequences,i.e

1.u will be treated as a foreign doctor and ur chances of matchin for a job will be difficult

2.u will be treated as a foreign doctor and therefore ur working environment might not be a supportive one

3.medicine is an increibly difficult field(don mean to discourage u but thts the reality) and u will require ur family around for emotional support and to make sure u don chicken out n see it through,therefore going elsewhere means u hv to brave things out by urself.

on the other side waitin a year and half seems ridiculous bt before deciding u hv to weigh these two odds against each other.
take it frm me,ive suffered emotionally due to stress and at times i felt if i was not a muslim i would surely end my life then and there.and now tht ive finished i wana go practice in the US bt again there are some odds against me.

i don mean to discourage u and be pessimistic,but first of all make sure u are ready for medicine and then decide if u are a brave person and can conqure the challenges tht lie ahead.the problem wid somalis is tht they don tell u how deep the pond is before u jump in,i sure wish someone cudve told me,i wudve done something like dentistry at home and not in some foreign soil.so my dear ,thts wat am tryin to do,give u a heads up so tht u don assume this is a fun trip like Greys anatomy.hope u find this helpful, :)

Offline Geeljire

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:37:27 PM »
While I'm not one to give advice as I'm in the mid of my fina exams, I can say my two cents roughly.

Going to a medical school abroad may sound very appealing, however, there are certain issues that many of us may not be aware of. If you are considering applying to an international medical school, these pros and cons could help make your decision a little easier.

Pros

• Fewer Restrictions
International schools have less restrictive entrance requirements.

• Short Notice
International schools usually accept students on short notice. Many students apply at the last minute after being deferred or declined by the medical school of their choice.

• Less Expensive
Tuition for international schools is usually a lot less than medical schools in America.

Cons

• Relocation
You have to relocate to another country, and typically the school is not located in a particularly exotic part of your  current country. Also, locals may not happen to be  friendly to the medical school students, especially in small poor Carribbean communities.

• Red tape
After graduating from an International medical school, you will be required to take an additional exam, the ECFMG, that is not required for domestic graduates. Additionally, each time you apply for a state license or any certification, the process may be slower, since the documentation is being obtained from overseas.

• Perception
Patients and employers typically have a less favorable opinion of international medical schools. Many employers prefer to hire doctors who have graduated from a U.S. medical school, and that is the bottom line. Even though doctors are in extremely high demand, some hospitals will pass over foreign-trained physician candidates for those who attended school in the US.

Good luck sis & Fi Amanallah,
Geeljire ~

Offline Dr.Farabadan

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 03:00:08 AM »
Well, I think I don't need to emphasize negative apects about going to  a medical school to abroad as it was already demonstrated by  bro/sis  in the the previous posts.

But u said they r gonna place u into a Us hospital in Ur 3rd n 4th yrs. though u  r required additional exams for the foreign medical students to take after Ur graduation, u r doing  part of Ur studying in us and that my help u finding job easily. u'll get  some work experience in US.

Although u'll not be treated as others who studied in US, u won't be treated like foreign doctor.

so, I think that I dea of going to Caribbean sounds no bad to me.

allah ha kula garabgalo sis
Dr. farabadan
never give up learning

Offline Abdikasim

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »
hodan, do not hesitate to go carribian. it is not far from USA and the education system is similiar to USA. i know one of my friend who studied in mathew medical univeristy . now he is doctor so i advise to go and study. do not wast  your time.

Offline DANGO

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »
Hodan,  first try to take the MCAT and then try US med. school.  However, Caribbean medical schools are 2nd best option. "after all I'm 2nd year medical student at one of the Caribbean medical schools and there are about 20 somali medical student in about 5-6 different Caribbean medical schools. 
'the BIG 3"; sgu, auc, and ross will ask you mcat b/c thy offer FAFSA.
if needed more info. hit me w/e-mail..

Offline Dr Ismail

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
my sister u r very good i think u should wait 2010 becouse time  goes fast and its very expencive chance
plz donot miss ıt.

Offline dr-awale

• i love my doughter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »
thank u hodan ure bro, dr awale advices  just wait to apply 2010.
if not possible plz go ure country specailly mogadisho then study medicine, as u know there is  a benadir university.
LEAVE
WOUNDS
OPEN !

Offline Dandaawi

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
Asalamu calaykum Ms Hodan,

There is nothing to say after the dozens of reply you have received from the kindness and purehearted somalidoc collegues/members.

If I am gonna say something I would make stronge with you Dr. Noora's advice of to say two Rakcah for Allah called Salad Istiqarah and supplicate from our Almight of Allah with purehearted mind to show you what is good for you in this world and at doomsday ( Akhiro) , because all what you earn in this world will be asked to you at doomsday either you earn money, dignity, education etc.

My dear sister expect from Allah good future and I supplicate from Allah to give you good guidence and make you easy good deeds and things you may think about it !

Finally, Education is Education and depends on your effort and goal behind it, and here I have for you a proverb says ( DONT LEAVE WHAT YOU CAN DO TODAY TO DO  TOMORROW )    I mean deal with what you get now and availabe to acheive ! do not make things complicated for you !
Time is fast I know, but 2010 is not here and we have to benifit the time.

Thanks Hodan, Be confident to Allah and get him close to him with good deeds and Allah will make you easy everything.

A brother of yours,
reach your goal !

Offline Andydeskano

• Aging issues
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:32:13 AM »
It is better you wait than be sorry. In my opinion you'll put more sacrifice should you choose go to caribean.

Offline Muraad

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »
Salamu Calaykum
Hodon, I just read your request for advice. I think if you are really serious with your pursuit of medical eduction, you would not mind waiting for one year. I don't know why you are so concerned with time but I can tell you that if you got into the U.S med schools that will help you in many ways. Going to the crabean seems easy but a lot of problems including residency, adapting new life, financial problems and many others will arise later. Certain schools in the crabean are not very welcomed in many states so if you decide to go to the crabean you will need to do a lot of research. There is a Somlai guy who I met one day in this website who might help you in giving you more info about the crabean med schools. I know that St. George and Ross are the best ones followed by a few more. If you feel that you can do really well in the MCAT, then it won't hurt you to wait for one year. I, myself waited one year after not doing well in the MCAT in the first try. Besides, you need to know that if you end up in U.S med school you have a high chance of getting schlarships that will reduce your financial burden and dept.

Advice to doctors by sheikh "Mohammad Al-munjid"

Started by Dr.AdnanBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 0
Views: 21020
Last post December 04, 2007, 05:09:46 PM
by Dr.Adnan
To take more drugs opposite to Doctor's advice is not remedy for you !!

Started by DandaawiBoard Medical Stories and Jokes

Views: 6621
Last post December 26, 2008, 05:40:50 PM
by Dandaawi
Advice to Medical Students Studying Neurology

Started by MysamBoard Clinical Rotations

Views: 8700
Last post April 22, 2009, 11:27:08 PM
by Mysam
Unsolicited Advice, : How to Apply for a Faculty Job