Author Topic: Princess needs help!  (Read 6712 times)

Offline PrincessMuni

Princess needs help!
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
salam guys & gurlz....

would like someone to explain to me pulmonary surfactant
i mean i know its surface active lipoprotien complex formed by type 2 alveolar cells, but wt is it exactly??

would love 2 have the answer now if anyone is here NOW !

Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Ikram

Re: Princess needs help!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »
 Wa'Calaykuma Salaam Princess muni,

Pulmonary surfactant is an facinating topic ...that is when you dont go into the chemical components that is when my heads spins too. But I understandt the main physiological function of pulmonary surfactant is to reduce the surface tension at the air–liquid interface in the alveoli. As the surface tension is lowered during breathing, the energy required to inflate the lungs is also reduced. Pulmonary surfactant can also help to prevent alveoli collapse when the lungs are under extremely high compressions.You are right in that  pulmonary surfactant is a lipoprotein complex, it is indeed a unique mixture that consists of approximately 90% lipids and 10% proteins which is why is it so fascinating.

You are also right in  that its  synthesized and secreted by the alveolar type II epithelial cell.  In relation to practice, premature babies may encounter neonatal Respiratory Distress Syndrome due to lack of pulmonary surfactant  because of their immature lungs hence why the surface tension at the alveolar interface can be quite high, which requires higher energy to inflate the lungs during respiration,(at times this is to high of an energy for the preterm ). Mostly its babies born at 23-30 gestation that are at risk.

I know this answer is late in arrival but as they say 'better late then never'. If I have gone anything wrong please feel free to correct me, however this my understand and I hope it was to any help.

Ikram
The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions!

Smiling!

Congratulations Dr Noora and Princess Muni

Started by YaxyaBoard Announcements

Replies: 14
Views: 20197
Last post July 20, 2009, 12:37:57 PM
by Dr.Noora
Congratulations - Princess Muni

Started by AdminBoard Announcements

Replies: 5
Views: 9767
Last post September 03, 2008, 09:58:10 PM