Author Topic: What could be the cause?  (Read 8787 times)

Offline Hargeisas Star

What could be the cause?
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
Salam ppl ;D

A patient was found fitting and on arrival he had a cardiac arrest. His GCS was 3 therefore has suspected head injury. I have been told the brain injury could be due to drugs and I am struggling to understander how a drug could lead to brain injury, why he had a cardiac arrest and what could be the possible brain injuries that he has?

Please I will be happy if i get an answer  ::)

Offline Anotherabdi

Re: What could be the cause?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
Salam ppl ;D

A patient was found fitting and on arrival he had a cardiac arrest. His GCS was 3 therefore has suspected head injury. I have been told the brain injury could be due to drugs and I am struggling to understander how a drug could lead to brain injury, why he had a cardiac arrest and what could be the possible brain injuries that he has?

this is only a guess (that is my disclaimer):
What kind of drugs are you referring to? recreational drugs like cocaine can induce sudden cardiac arrest (mostly arrythmia and vasospasm). this can account for the low GSC.
numerous toxins/metabolites/electrolytes/therapeutic substances can result in brain injury as well.
so I think the only way to answer that is through patient history, lab and diagnostic results including CT (to see hemorrhage), EKG for any arrhythmia and physical examination.

Offline Hargeisas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
Hey Anotherabdi
Thanks for answering my question to why he had a cardiac arrest :).  I know looking at his CT scan would have helped me but too bad didnt get a chance to see the image after he was scanned and I forgot his name so could not follow up his report so I wondered what would his possible brain injury might have been.

Once again Thanks

Offline Abdulrazzak

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »
thanks for your sharing information  with  students , in management such  cases will cause fatal the patient whose case is  head trauma , sandenly if your working in emergency .. u need to be carefully .. as pharmacist working in emergency drug related cases is more dangerous  wrong  diagnosis..
Dr. Abdirizak H Mohamed
PharmD KU -PAKISTAN , Msc- KEMU NAIROBI

Offline Abdulrazzak

Re: Benefit of Green Tea
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
Benefit of Green Tea

Anxiety

L-theanine is a predominant amino acid found in green tea. Preliminary research exists on the effects of this amino acid in comparison with the prescription drug alprazolam on experimentally induced anxiety.

Arthritis

Research indicates that green tea may benefit arthritis by reducing inflammation and slowing cartilage breakdown.    

Asthma

Research has shown caffeine to cause improvements in airflow to the lungs (bronchodilation). However, it is not clear if caffeine or tea use has significant benefits in people with asthma.

Cancer (general)

Overall, the relationship of green tea consumption and human cancer remains inconclusive. One clinical trial showed minimal benefit using green tea extract capsules for the treatment of hormone refractory prostate cancer. .   

Cardiovascular conditions

There is early suggestive evidence that regular intake of green tea may reduce the risk of heart attack or atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).

Common cold prevention

In humans, preliminary date suggests that a specific formulation of green tea may help prevent cold and flu symptoms.    

Dental cavity prevention

There is limited study of tea as a gargle (mouthwash) for the prevention of dental cavities (caries).

Diabetes

More studies are required to determine if green tea and polyphenols have any therapeutic benefit for diabetes prevention or treatment.   

Fertility

Early research using a combination product called FertilityBlend has been associated with some success in helping women to conceive. Further well-designed research on green tea alone for this use is needed before a strong conclusion can be drawn.   

High cholesterol

Laboratory studies, animal studies, and limited human research suggest possible effects of green tea on cholesterol levels.   

Hypertension

Green tea has been shown to increase or have no effect on blood pressure in several studies in humans.   

Hypertriglyceridemia

Laboratory, animal, and limited human research suggest possible effects of green tea on triglyceride levels.    

Menopausal symptoms

A study conducted in healthy postmenopausal women showed that a morning/evening menopausal formula containing green tea was effective in relieving menopausal symptoms including hot flashes and sleep disturbance.

Mental performance/alertness

Several preliminary studies have examined the effects of caffeine, tea, or coffee use on short and long-term memory and cognition. It remains unclear if tea is beneficial for this use. Limited, low-quality research reports that the use of green tea may improve cognition and sense of alertness. Green tea contains caffeine, which is a stimulant.   

Photoprotection

There is limited animal and human study of green tea as a protective agent of skin from ultraviolet light skin injury. Some study results conflict. Comparisons have not been made with well-established forms of sun protection such as ultraviolet protective sunscreen. The effects of green tea on skin damage caused by the sun remain unclear.   

Viral infection (human T-cell lymphocytic virus)

Preliminary research suggests green tea decreases viral load in carriers of the HTLV-1 virus. Additional well-designed controlled research is needed before a recommendation can be made for or against green tea in the treatment of HTLV-1 carriers.   

Weight loss (maintenance)

There are several small human studies addressing the use of green tea extract (GTE) capsules for weight loss or weight maintenance in overweight or average weight individuals. Study results are mixed.

Green Tea here somali is not popular but they  Black instead Green Tea .
Dr. Abdirizak H Mohamed
PharmD KU -PAKISTAN , Msc- KEMU NAIROBI

Offline DANGO

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
Salam ppl ;D

hey I could not resist this Question......!

Any drug overdose can cause brain injury via hypoxia (dec O2/incr CO2-->hypoventilation) --> brain ischemia --> 2ndary dec Cardiac Out-->arrhythmia   

Offline Hargeisas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
Lol Thanks Dango! Although A Bit Late Hehe  ;D

Star*