Author Topic: DEBATE: Can We Treat Any Case Of Fever As Malaria?  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
DEBATE: Can We Treat Any Case Of Fever As Malaria?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
Current guidelines recommend that all fever episodes in African children be treated presumptively with antimalarial drugs. But declining malarial transmission in parts of sub-Saharan Africa, declining proportions of fevers due to malaria, and the availability of rapid diagnostic tests mean it may be time for this policy to change. This debate examines whether enough evidence exists to support abandoning presumptive treatment and whether African health systems have the capacity to support a shift toward laboratory-confirmed rather than presumptive diagnosis and treatment of malaria in children under five.

Read the full debate

"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
Re: DEBATE: Can We Treat Any Case Of Fever As Malaria?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
Thanks dr.mahdi

This is the first time I realized it was a protocol to treat any fever as malaria in africa....

I was wondering why our remote local pharmacies used to give antimalarials to all febrile children.
In diagnosis think of the easy first.
Martin H. Fischer

Offline TZmedstudent

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
It is the work of our great IMCI(integrated management of childhood illnesses) WHO guidelines in rural areas it does seem to help but in district hospitals or referral hospitals its obsolete. I currently worked in a village dis[ensary and all under 5 children with fever are treated with anti malarials above 5 could undergo the rapid diagnostic test(RDT) for malaria.

Offline Mysam

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »
It is the work of our great IMCI(integrated management of childhood illnesses) WHO guidelines in rural areas it does seem to help but in district hospitals or referral hospitals its obsolete. I currently worked in a village dis[ensary and all under 5 children with fever are treated with anti malarials above 5 could undergo the rapid diagnostic test(RDT) for malaria.

I totally agree with you. I have worked in referral hospitals and the  WHO guidelines wasnt used. We always prefered to draw samples and treat accordingly. As the risk of antimalarial resistance is on the rise in Africa we really need to be careful with these drugs.

New Case with "Foreign Accent syndrome"

Started by AdminBoard Health News and Events

Replies: 4
Views: 34514
Last post May 07, 2011, 09:55:27 PM
by drishak
Patients may mislead you to appraoch the diagnosis! True Case

Started by SOYDABoard Humanitarian Aid Organizations

Replies: 4
Views: 33537
Last post April 10, 2008, 02:20:54 PM
by Waxbaro!
Vacancy: Bi-Lingual Case Manager (Somali-English)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 28074
Last post October 31, 2010, 08:22:25 PM
by Admin
Somali Speaking Case Manager - Seattle, Washington

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 1
Views: 10300
Last post February 11, 2011, 02:04:30 PM
by Elliotte
First Somali Case with Swine Flu Reported in Egypt