Author Topic: Spider-Coach  (Read 3869 times)

Offline dr-awale

• i love my doughter
Spider-Coach
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »
Walter Zenga has something of a reputation. A bad one at that. The Inter goalkeeping legend was always regarded as a crazy horse as a player and somewhat of an unreliable character even after hanging up his gloves.

His behaviour on the Catania bench since his arrival has hardly helped. In the past six months, Spider-Man has been involved in his share of arguments, including a recent dispute with journalist Enrico Varriale live on Italian state television.

From a coaching perspective, however, he has arguably done a super job in Sicily. I was one of the first to question his appointment, as I believed that he wasn’t experienced enough, but Walter has gone well beyond expectations.

There is one thing about him that I really appreciate – Zenga’s firm ambition to become a great Coach. In the knowledge that no one would consider him as a boss in his homeland, he packed his bags and moved abroad to places where many others wouldn’t even dare.

Zenga took a step back from the bright lights of Italian football and went to win silverware with Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade. His achievements over there have been largely underestimated, but think about how many Coaches go East and fail miserably.

The former Sampdoria man proved a point during those years and is repeating himself at the Massimino. Walter earned himself a Serie A call, rather than relying on his friends and contacts to land him a job.

Now that Catania are impressing, playing good football as well as winning points, many, including myself, are looking at Zenga in a different light.

If it’s true that he was just inches away from the Inter job last season when Roberto Mancini wanted to quit, then I am sure that opportunity will one day come around again. After all, they are getting used to feisty Coaches at San Siro and Zenga would be a perfect fit.

LEAVE
WOUNDS
OPEN !