Author Topic: Study Medicine in USA  (Read 70697 times)

Offline Phi

• وَعَجِلْتُ إِلَيْكَ رَبِّ لِتَرْضَى
Re: Study Medicine in USA
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
hello, bros and sis, Am second year med student...any one who needs infor on preparing the MCAT, application process or any other pressing question, am willing to chip in. if you are high school or even grad school and trying to change your career....you are welcome too!!
Thx!!
Dr. Abdul,
I'm always excited to hear about a fellow Somali who's already well on their way to being a doctor. Congratulations on getting to where you are now and good luck with the challenges that are up ahead. If you don't mind me asking, which medical school do you attend?
Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

Offline Muraad

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
Salamu calaykum
I am glad to see Somalis helping each other, particularly, in education, which is very crucial for the progress of our society. I want to give a brief info about studying medicine in the U.S. which is different from studying in other countries around the world.
Step one: Undergraduate education; work hard in your undergraduate courses because they would be a part of determining your admission to med. School. Maintain a good GPA. From my experience, I would suggest to major in Science and also take a lot of English Calsses like writing and critical thinking. The English courses will help you do well in verbal reasoning and it will enhance your ability to read faster. Reading faster while being able to collect and process info is important in every part of the MCAT and also in med school itself.
Extracuricular activity: It isgood but if you have solid GPA and Solid MCAT score, that overrides. If you don't have good GPA and Good MCAT score nobody will put more load on your extracuricullar activity.
Make sure that you have a good mentor who direct you in the right path.
Plan a head So you can take the MCAT in the summer of the end of your third year. This will allow you to start medical school by the time you are done with your undergraduated education but it will also help you to repeat the MCAT unless you do well in the first attempt. For MCAT, the basics of each subject and put more of your time in doing question. The more questions you do and analyze your answers of the ones you got wrong the better you do. Doing question and going back to the answers after you finish will help you gain understanding in a lot of concepts.
Now that you took the MCAT and let's assume you did well; what is the next step.
Next step is to apply through AMCAS ( CENTRALIZED APPLICATION). The AMCAS will send your application to the scools you apply then any school that finds your application interesting will reach you and send a secondary application to you.
Next step is filling the secondary application. At this time, you will aso request your recommedation letters writers to send the letters to the schools (This has changed, I heard that now letters go throught the AMCAS so check that).
Next Step is that schools that are convinced that you are a good candidate for medical eduction will invite you for an interview. Make sure that you know what you wrote in your applications (first and second) because the questions might revolve around it. It depends who is going to interview you. Some people stick with prewritten questions while others prefer to know you as a person and their interview is casual and scattered.
Next step is the most difficult time while you are waiting for the response from the schools you were interviewed at. It won't hurt to call the schools once a while to remind them that you are still interested in their program by asking if they have any news for you.  It is nice if you send thank you note to the interviewers that will show you respect and appreciation.
You get the response and you are happy.
Next step is starting med school. This is the most difficult part of the whole process because the medical education system is totally different from the undergraduate one. First semester might make you think, "I was not expecting this", but persistence and hardwork will prevail. Just look at the people who are behind you, in front of you, and both sides. They were all on the same boat as you and they had the same difficult as you do but they strive so why shouldn't you? If you are going to med school which is not in your state make sure you move to that place as early as possible so you familiarize yourself with the new place.
To tell you the truth, I believe that we, the Somalis, we have more chance than any other community because we have a lot to convince the interviewers if we have a moderate GPA and good MCAT score. Let's strive to be the best.
In summery, To go to med school after high school, you need 12 years of education to become a full physician and that is the average. If you choose certain specialties, it migh be 13 or 14 years and so on. 4 yrs undergraduate, 4 yrs med school, 3-6yrs residency depending what you choose as specialty. Time flies fast and there is no better time than the time spent in gaining knowledge. Medicine is one of the fields most needed all over the world, particularly, in our homeland.

Good luck and work hard. I am sure anyone can make to med school doing the job needed.

Offline Muraad

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
Salamu calaykum
Brother Cumar from Canada
There is a good chance that you can study medicine in the U.S. I know at least two students from my class who are from Canada, a lady and a guy. The School I attend is Meharry Med College in Nashville, TN. I also happen to know a Somali guy who is in his fourth year at University of Minnesota where I attended my undergrad. Don't hesitate to apply U.S med schools and do more research on, particularly, trying to find more Somali individuals attending other schools. Try to base your application to schools that had already admitted Canadian students. Apply University of Minnesota as there is a big Somali community and it has a large number of Somali students bsides other schools that you think are to admit Canadian students.
Rabina yuciinak, inshaAllah.

Offline Ibramish

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »

thanks a lot brothers n sisters for sharing your experiences with us...am applying this year.
Questions For Fatuma and Dr. Abdul

Sister fatuma any luck getting into medical school/how is the mcat coming up?..good sister..

Dr. Abdul any advice on the MCAT/ AMCAS?....my GPA is almost perfect but my mcat prep is not coming that great...am taking in july 30th

Offline Ibramish

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Hey Muraad, thanks for the great info bro...

p.s am in Nashville and i would def love to chat with you and gain some insights, besides am applying to med school this year.

Offline Aqoon Raadis

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »
 Asalamu calaykum all,

My name is Abdinur and I'M in USA I want to be a Dentist so if you are interested that major feel free to talk about .

Q:- how many differents parts are in Dentistry ?

Offline Saidah

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:59 AM »
Asalamu Aliekum to all.
My name is Saidah. I'm currently attending OHSU(Oregon Health and Science University) working on my premed in Nurobiology Insha Allah. I'm very pleased to see somali brothers and sisters wanting to study medicine as it's much in need. I'm planning on going to med school in Massachusetts, and I would appreciate it if any somali med student living in Mass. can tell me what they can about there. My email is uniteallmuslims1@yahoo.com. And to all of you out there, keep your ambitions high..the sky is the limit Insha Allah, and remember to never compromise your faith!

Saidah

Offline Lafoole

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »

asalum calaykum walalayaal
 salan kadib walalayal......if u guys are in medical school then how did u guy get the money? i heard u hav 2 apply money loan but the thing is loan is xaraan i mean the interest is ganna be xaraan........marka point hala iga qanciyo walalayaal.

Offline Nadar

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »
Asc, hi my name is nadar, I am Registered Nurse and iam planning to go one more stage higher to became
nurse anesthetist but i am not where to study because of the educational cost of this country US, some friends have
told to study inthe caribeam islands and just take the exams in US, does anyone is aware of such thing.

Offline Dr.Abdul

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 05:41:22 AM »
Asc, hi my name is nadar, I am Registered Nurse and iam planning to go one more stage higher to became
nurse anesthetist but i am not where to study because of the educational cost of this country US, some friends have
told to study inthe caribeam islands and just take the exams in US, does anyone is aware of such thing.
Hey, Nadar

You mean going to the carribean to become a nurse anesthesist? I dont think that is possible, since USA have their own regulations that are rigourous and tough.So try as hard as possible to find such programs here.... and remember there are  many programs interested in minority students. Good luck Nadar!!
-Abdul-

Offline Nasim

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
Aslamu Alikum All,
My name is Fatuma Yasin. I'm a senior at GMU where I'm studying Biology and English. Inshallah, I'll be applying to medical school this cycle. Although I was born and raised in the US, I had the opportunity to (finally) visit Somalia two years ago and I have to say that I absolutely fell in love. Despite the many years of war, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth and there's something to be said about being in country and surrounded by people you can honestly call your own. As a Somali youth, I feel like it's my responsibility to be invested in the future of my country and, in my case, I believe medicine is the best way to achieve that goal. If there are any high school or college students on here who have questions about the US pre-med and med school process, I'm more than willing to help so don't hesitate to ask!
mashalah sister wa aleikum salaam im glad to see that you liked somalia lol its true we need more doctors education is the key to success and good luck with your studies

Offline Abdulrazzak

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
salam to all
Its my pleasure to be here againg for a period of hash n disappearence iam back  glad to see new people  and this makes me more encouragements .. plz keep it up togather we can  build .
Alah Haviz.
Dr. Abdirizak H Mohamed
PharmD KU -PAKISTAN , Msc- KEMU NAIROBI

Offline SadiaH

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
Asalaamu Alaikum everyone,

I am current Junior Attending Virginia
Commonwealth University. I am majoring Forensic Science and double
minoring Chemistry and Biology and Pre-Med Track. I just finished my
prerequisite classes for Pre-Med track and I'm ready to apply to medical school soon inshallah.
 i don't know anyone who had experienced or went/going to med school now. I'm planning to take the MCAT in the summer Inshallah and i was wondering if anyone of you who would like to give me any ideas about the MCAT exams or want to study the MCAT together 'll be great.

thanks

Offline Phi

• وَعَجِلْتُ إِلَيْكَ رَبِّ لِتَرْضَى
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:38 AM »
Hey Sadia,
Coincidentally, I'm a first year medical student at VCU. I wonder if we've bumped into each other :P MCAT studying is serious work. You can either do a prep program or go to a bookstore and by a prep book and follow it. I think the second option is better and more financially savvy. Kaplan's books as are Examcrackers. Both come with a study plan and I suggest you follow it to a T. Overall, expect to put in a good 3 months of solid studying (5-7 hours a day). If you have any specific questions about the MCAT or applying to medical schools, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at barqadlefy@vcu.edu! Best of luck!
~Phi
Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

Offline Mona USA

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
hi

i want to know if anyone here in seattle, wa who took mcat test if they can help me get ready for mine.

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30568
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 45130
Last post February 11, 2007, 12:34:45 PM
by Admin