Author Topic: Medicine interview. (UK)  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Bellevue

Medicine interview. (UK)
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:04:04 AM »
ASC everyone and Ciid Mubaarak.

I got an interview at a medical school, which I honestly didn't expect, from that university anyway and I am thrilled that I finally have an interview. It's for early December.
I am really worried as I've never had an interview before. I am in a gap year and I can't even get help or mock interviews from my teachers :( so it seems am gonna have to do it all by myself. I never read any medical novels though I bought one which was suggested on this site,,Mountains beyond Mountains which I just started. My interview is about a week away now. And this is a rough idea of the format of this interview

What attributes do you think you possess that make a good doctor?
Why do you want to come to PMS?
List four problems with the NHS
Before your interview you will be given an ethical scenario which you can choose out of the three that you are offered. This can range from issues around blood donation to consent. You will be given information and then in your interview you will be asked set questions about it. After choosing which scenario you would like your interview to be based around, you have a short period of time in which to make notes (these can be taken into the interview with you). Some other questions that you might get are
How do you deal with stress?
Talk about a time that you have been in a position of responsibility?
How do doctors sometimes react negatively to stress?
Can you tell us about a difficult decision you have had to make

Can anyone think of the problems with the NHS. please explain them. Also can someone tell me how to approach ethical scenarios. Any tips for this interview will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Sorry for the long post :)

Offline Bellevue

Re: Medicine interview. (UK)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:13 AM »
Not even a single reply?!?!?!?! ???

Guess I posted in the wrong forum. Dead forum!

Offline Waxbaro!

• Global Moderator
  • Aqoontu Waa Iftiin
Re: Medicine interview. (UK)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
Systematic approach to the study of complex ethical Scenarios:

Recognize a Moral Issue
It is important to recognize in the beginning whether there is an ethical issue in the given situation.
1. Is there a conflict (personal, interpersonal, or institutional) or a question that arises either at the level of thought or of feeling?
2. Is the question a moral or ethical question? Why?

Begin Your Decision Making
Before we start with an ethical analysis, we must be sure that there is an ethical conflict or problem. If there is not, the problem may still require resolution
3. What are the pertinent facts of the case (e.g., which interests are at stake)?
4. What alternative actions are available?

Evaluate the Alternative Actions from Various Moral Points of View
Now it is time to bring ethical considerations to bear on the matter. These five questions closely parallel the five ethical principles on which the approach is based.
We are not looking for the one rule or approach that "fits." Rather we are trying to look at this complex dilemma from a number of different ethical viewpoints with the hope that one or more will illuminate the problem and will help guide our eventual decision.
It is at this stage of the approach that the importance of an open mind is greatest. You cannot search for facts if, having already made up your mind, you are "right." This is perhaps the most difficult part of this entire approach. Even if you are able to give up your overt position on the matter, you still come into the analysis with your paradigm, including all of its biases, assumptions, etc.

5. Which alternative best protects the moral rights of individuals?
6. Which alternative would be most just?
7. Which alternative would lead to the best overall consequences?
8. Which alternative best promotes the common good?
9. Which alternative would help one develop and maintain a virtuous state of character (e.g., be a person of courage or compassion)?

Make a Decision
10. Considering these various points of view, which of the alternative actions would be the best?
11. We should not expect that the answer to this question would be unambiguous. We hope, however, that we will have enough information to pick a specific alternative. If we cannot do this with confidence, we may need to go back through Questions 3 through 9. What would other people with good judgment think of the justification of your decision?

Consider Your Action in Retrospect
12. In retrospect, was the action — and its results for others as well as your own moral character — the best action?
13. What do other people with good judgment think of the action and its results?

Source: Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University.
Your posts reflects your personality, so be Wise and Polite!

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30630
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 45241
Last post February 11, 2007, 12:34:45 PM
by Admin