Author Topic: Why Medicine?!  (Read 104211 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
Why Medicine?!
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:48:26 AM »
Most people answer this question by saying, I want to help people. This is a perfectly legitimate response, but there are many ways to help people. Teachers help people. So do hospital administrators, social workers, entertainers, and undertakers. What is it about being a medical doctor that is so attractive? What skills do doctors need in order to be successful, and are those the skills you most enjoy using?

Going to medical school is not a decision to be made lightly. For one thing, it involves a substantial time commitment: 4 to 5 years of medical school plus additional years of graduate study (residency). Second, medical school may be very expensive.

Please be logic and tell me why MEDICINE?!
Regards
Dr.mahdi

"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Geeljire

Re: Why Medicine?!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:37:04 PM »
Have a look down the list of threads below and you will find 'Why medicine or what's so attractive being a doctor ....Currently 15 pages long LOL. Lots of information in there. Happy reading , :)

Later,,
Geeljire

Offline Dr.Abdikhalak

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »
lol ,This is a long thread, so I am going to jump in without having read every post , Geeljirr !  ;);D

Back to the original question:
I entered medicine a little before my 19th birthday (jumping education systems) - so compared to what I know now (which is not a lot but enough), I did not know very much about a career in medicine at all at that time.

It wasn't so much a question of "why medicine", I simply thought - why not?
Not everyone has a chance at med school.

A little dose of pragmatism:
Universities focus on graduating their students - the real question is, what sort of degree is going to get you a job?

Some issues can be analyzed to death.

Had I been older or "more mature", perhaps I would have mulled over things a great deal longer - thing is, I don't think the decision would change.

Offline Waxbaro!

• Global Moderator
  • Aqoontu Waa Iftiin
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:58:09 AM »
Universities focus on graduating their students - the real question is, what sort of degree is going to get you a job?

The universities don't think about your job, it depends on you.
for example here in Somalia, if you are thinking about money, holding bachelor degree is enough for you!!

Waxbaro1
Your posts reflects your personality, so be Wise and Polite!

Offline Dr.Abdikhalak

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 03:53:13 PM »

The universities don't think about your job, it depends on you.
for example here in Somalia, if you are thinking about money, holding bachelor degree is enough for you!!

Waxbaro1

Actually you totally missed my point. In fact, I was implying the opposite. In my comment, when I said Universities focus on graduating their students, I was talking about mainly the different degrees or faculties and to some extent the different students who are studying those different faculties in a University. In this regard or even in generally speaking, If Universities focus on graduating their students who are studying in their different faculties and worked their way how their students should graduate up to a certain level, for sure one will say they don't think about their student's job nor do they decide for them what sort of degree will get them a job .This was the point I was trying to make, without going into detail.

Peace !

Offline Naomy Grace

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »

wallah for me

i never wanted to study medicine

i used to love architecture..and still...but my father is like all somali men...he told me ..either medicine..or stay home washing dishes lol...so i studied medicine

but now i know that i was born to be a doctor...all i think about is how to be a better student..and a better doctor..so god help me to reach my goal :)

Offline juliat

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »
because so much of what medication does for us in our heads, the patient doesn't know what they get but the researchers know who got the new drug and who got the placebo, and they can see what side effects are caused be the drug instead of the patients imagination, and how well it performs compared to patients who think they took it.

Acne Treatment

Offline Dr.keyf

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »
Its the moooooooooooooooooooooonnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey...........!???!!!! ;D loooooooooooool.just kiddin

Offline Dr.Farabadan

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
desagree dr. keyf, it's not most money, thr r some ppl who get paid half a million like  finance, Bussiness or management positions
never give up learning

Offline Dr.keyf

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »
i was joking my friend,humor to light up the place.speaking of humor,why hv our funny posters stopped posting the funny stuff?plz bring back the humor in somalidoc ;D

Offline dr-awale

• i love my doughter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
Studying medicine requires a serious commitment. Few people stumble across the idea of pursuing the subject late in life. It is very likely that you have always wanted to work in primary care, and that's not a fact that you should hide. When thinking about the reasons of studying medicine it is important that you do not fall into the following traps:

1. Avoid using cliched, prefabricated sentaces, such as, " I have always wanted to study medicine because.." or "medicine is my calling". It is recommended that you point to experiences that have led you to your interest in medicine.

2. Be as clear as possible on why you have chosen medicine, use real life experiences and take the opportunity to point out any circumstances that may have affected your academic results.

3. Outline any work experiences in the medical field. Remember that experience is very important, even voluntery work. The admissions officers will be seeking proof and evidence that you have carefully thought through your decision.

Medicine runs in the family
Many reasons for pursing medicine is that the immediate family work in the medical field. This is a valied reason, but, it is important that you do not sound adolescent. Remember that you need unique reasons of why you have chosen to study your course.

The patient's perspective
This is the most powerful reason for studying medicine. Many doctors, nurses and dentists work in areas that need regeneration and with people from all walks of life. That is why admissions officers like to read personal statements that focus on the patient. A unique patient experience will bring life to your personal statement.

Next: Learn what admissions officers are looking for.

Note: This guide is not intended to replace the advice of tutors, admissions officers, or teachers; Get Into Uni simply provides advice and exercises to help you write a compelling personal statement.

LEAVE
WOUNDS
OPEN !

Offline Xaasid

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
Its simple - Money.

And im not even lying!

Offline Phi

• وَعَجِلْتُ إِلَيْكَ رَبِّ لِتَرْضَى
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »
I'm always worried when I hear people say they're in the field of medicine for the money. I swear there are a lot of other things that you can be doing if you're only interested in the money.
Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

Offline Mandeq

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
yaa ilaahi ! I don't think is abt money at all , it is too precious saving some ones life or treating their disease or even encouraging them they will get better tomorrow. Money doesn't cost none of that. PLUS YA ALL SHOULD BE LUCKY ENOUGH BEEN IN THAT FIELD AND APPROTIATE U YOU ALLAH , is been my dream since I was a kid unfortunately couldn't make it and ended up with boring Biomedicine $ sitting on the boring microscope long hours. after all happy n smiling  ;D

Offline Bent Seren

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
no not 4 money

about me i was interested in policy & still

but 4 many reasons the end result was studying medicine

i think doctor must be unusual person*i am trying*
in our job we should be friendly &helpful as much we can

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30506