Author Topic: Nose Picking  (Read 6591 times)

Offline Guled1

Nose Picking
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
Nose Picking
We've all caught someone at sometime picking their nose. Some try to do it in secret. Others do it openly without embarrassment.
Maybe even you have been caught in the act. Nose-picking is one disgusting habit and is certainly not socially acceptable. So, are these people normal? One would guess that this is not the type of thing researched at our institutions of higher learning. Guess again. The Americans did.

Of course, scientists must give everyday things complicated scientific names. Nose picking is a term for us common folk. Nose-picking should really be referred to as rhinotillexomania (rhino=nose, tillexis=habit of picking at something, mania=obsession with something). So, the next time that you see a person picking their nose, tell them that they are a rhinotillexomaniac.

The researchers prepared their "Rhinotillexomania Questionnaire"
and randomly mailed it to 1000 residents in Dane County, Wisconsin. Each survey included a cover letter that stated, "The University of Wisconsin is conducting a survey of a common but understudied habit scientifically known as 'rhinotillexomania'. Its common name is nose-picking." Even better, the letter actually defined what nose-picking is: "Insertion of a finger (or other object) into the nose with the intention of removing dried nasal secretions." I'll bet that you already knew that. Can you imagine getting this survey in the mail? Even with the
University's seal on the stationary, one would have to wonder whether this was a joke or not.

Now for the results (assuming that they are reliable): Of the 1000 surveys mailed out, only 254 were completed and returned to the researchers.

· 8.7% claim that they have never picked their nose. (In other words, they are liars or they can't remember doing it as a kid.)

· 91% stated that they had picked their nose in the past and were still actively practicing this habit. Yet, only 49.2% of the respondents actually thought that nose-picking was common in adults.

· 9.2% rate their pickin' as "more than average."

· 25.6% actually pick their noses daily, 22.3% do it 2 to 5 times each day, and three people admitted to doing it at least
hourly.

· 55.5% spent 1-5 minutes, 23.5% spent 5-15 minutes, and 0.8% (2 people) spent 15-30 minutes each day cleaning their
nostrils. One lone soul claims to devote over 2 hours each day to this ritual (I'm not a doctor and I can tell you that this guy definitely has rhinotillexomania).

· 18% reported nosebleeds, while 0.8% claimed perforation of the nasal septum from their nose-picking.

· 65.1% use their index finger, 20.2% use their pinky, and 16.4% use their thumb (must have BIG nostrils to fit a thumb in) as their instrument of choice.

· Most people (90.3%) disposed of the goop in a tissue or a handkerchief, while 28.6% used the floor, and 7.6% stuck it to the
furniture.

· 8% of the respondents actually ate the end product. In case you are thinking of trying this delicacy, the study claims that the pickings are quite tasty (salty).

So, what have we learned from this groundbreaking study? Basically, boogers apparently taste good, although I can guarantee to you that I will never do the taste testing to find out. And we are wondering why there is no cure for Cancer yet!

Offline BintOsman

• Allahumma la sahla illa ma ja'altu sahla
Re: Nose Picking
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
Hahahaha MashaAllaah, thank you for your post.
Although i was laughing through it all it was well written.

And i do see particular people having the habit in nose picking. I will for now on call that person rhinotillexomaniac.
Thank you for the laughter, it was well needed.

:D :D :D :D
Radheeto Billahi Rabba, Wabil Islaami Deena, Wa Bi Muhammadin (salla allaho 'aleyhi wassalam) Nabiyya.

Offline Yaxya

Re: Nose Picking
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
loooolz very useful and funny ..thnx 4 sharing bro
الأسوار التي تحيط بنا عالية، وعلى من لا يستطيع أن يهدمها أو يقذفها أو يتسلق عليها... عليه أن لا يزين للباقين الجلوس خلفها.

Coffee, sex and blowing your nose could increase the risk of a type of stroke.

Started by DrkheyreBoard Health News and Events

Replies: 0
Views: 6088
Last post May 08, 2011, 07:45:29 PM
by Drkheyre
Su'aal: San-Goror (Nose Bleeding)?

Started by HaldhaaBoard Qaybta Su'aalaha

Replies: 7
Views: 52751
Last post April 07, 2015, 04:15:18 PM
by SomaliDoc
Su'aal: San qalayl or dry nose?