Author Topic: Medicine  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Mehdi17

Medicine
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
Saalam brothers sisters im very fortunate to have found this website.
Im a student in college in the uk and im doing my last year of alevels in maths chemistry and biology.
my parents have always said for me to study medicine and this year i decided not to apply for several reasons.
after asking people about my situation they said "dont do medicine you will regret and dont be presurised by your parents

so i listend to them and now im in proccess of applying to chemical engineering but everyday all i think about is medicine and being a doctor for some strange reason.
i have thought about canceling my application for chemical engineering and taking a gap year before applying to study medicine.

if any of you have any advice it would be gratefull.
should i follow those voices in my head to study medicine ?

Offline Dr.Abdul

Re: Medicine
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
Hey, bro mehdi

I have heard this many time: parents pressuring kids to pursue medicine. Am 2nd year medical student and I will tell you what iIthink about medicine. I was in your situation several years ago,  asking myself should I go to medicne or just grad school.I came to the conclusion that medicine was the right call for me. Medicine offers alot of opportunities not only interms of economical gains, but gives you an opportunity to help others in a unique way. There is  alot satisfaction in the work doctors do. But the flip side is that it takes at least 10 yrs to mold you to be a doctor, including the premed years. It takes determination,hardwork and sacrifice on your part. Now that your mind is thinking about medicine, I think you should strongly consider it.Engineering is a good field, but offers limited options.
Take as many month to think about your decision, look at the pros and cons, and in btw you will find the road to your future. Good luck!

Offline Mehdi17

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »
thank you Dr Abdul , i am pleased to say im no ready to give it my all to study medicine in the UK.
i will be taking a gap year this year where i have several things planned.
1) work experience at a care / nursing home
2) 1 week placement at a hospital
3) visit hargeisa to hopefully volunteer at a hospital for a while

i then i have try to get an interview at a university which will be difficult but i remain confident.

inshalah all will go to plan

Offline Mojodoc78

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
I understand your position mehdi17.  My parents really pressured me into going to medical school.  If your heart isn't truly in to, you should try to convince your parents there is another path for you.  Is the reason they want you to become a doctor is because they are doctors themselves? In the meantime, continue to keep your grades up.

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30982
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 48858
Last post February 11, 2007, 12:34:45 PM
by Admin