Author Topic: Summer & Medical Mission trips in Somalia  (Read 26452 times)

Offline Phi

• وَعَجِلْتُ إِلَيْكَ رَبِّ لِتَرْضَى
Summer & Medical Mission trips in Somalia
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a first year medical student in the US and over here we get about six weeks off for the summer. Even though it's a break we're expected to do something useful with our time and a lot of schools offer international medical volunteer programs to sites all over the world, especially Africa. For reasons we all know, Somalia isn't on that list but I would love for it to be. I've been doing some research of my own and getting in touch with some doctors and hospitals back home and inshallah, I'll be spending the month of June volunteering in Al-Manhal in Hargeisa. I think it'll be a wonderful opportunity and I'm very excited about it. But I'm trying to look at the big picture as well. I'd love to be able to help set up a summer volunteer program in which pre-med or med somali students from abroad would be able to go back home and practice what they're learning, see how medicine is practiced in a different environment and learn more about their roots. My question for the members of this website, especially the ones studying medicine abroad, is simple: Would you be interested in a program like this?
Thanks!
Fatuma
George Mason University, B.S. 2010
VCU Medical College of Virginia, M.D. Candidate 2014

Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

Offline Amran

Re: Summer & Medical Mission trips in Somalia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
I definitely would have been as a student, its a great idea.  Hope u really enjoy it.

Offline Jamalabade

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
am  willing  to  join  that.its  anice  decision.am  jamal  abade  mohamed  doing  barchalor  of  meidicne  and  surgery  fourth  year  in  GULU  UNIVERSITY  IN  UGANDA.i  would  wish  to  serve  the  sommali  comunity.my  email  is  jamalabade@yahoo.com

Offline Waxbaro!

• Global Moderator
  • Aqoontu Waa Iftiin
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:03:35 PM »
Students are advised to choose safe places in Somalia & must contact with the hospitals they would like to spend their summer time in before they decide to travel.

This is an advice,

Also I advice the students to choose hospitals that run by International organizations because they are more organized and they give work certificates and recommendation letters if you wish so.
Your posts reflects your personality, so be Wise and Polite!

Offline Daughterofthehorn

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
Salaam Fatuma,

I'd definitely be interested! That is one of my goals insha'Allaah to spend summer 2012 (hopefully) in Somalia volunteering at a hospital. Do let us know what you come up with.

Offline Hafsa91

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and i've been wanting to do some volunteer work in Somalia since starting medical school.....
Does anyone know if there are ANY type of volunteering programs for medical students in Hargeisa???
I know that its possible to go on my own and all, but i'd much rather go as a group....
Thanks!

Offline TZmedstudent

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
Hi all, volunteering in Somalia is possible as well as at the camps however getting to go with international NGO'S can prove to be a challenge as they don't like to take on students. In Hargeisa check out Edna Aden hospital i know they accept students. All i can say is go for it i completed medical school and internship been trying to get to volunteer with some groups but now i've just decided to go out there check myself into a hotel and volunteer at the nearest hospital! Wish me luck :)

Offline Abdulrazzak

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »
Dear Students

iam very happy to hear that somali students are orginzing  voluntry to help their people I realy did  when I was Final year WHO (World Health Orgination) pls contact your near International/logal Orginazations may be they wil help.
Be smart any kind of activity to somalia
Dr. Abdirizak H Mohamed
PharmD KU -PAKISTAN , Msc- KEMU NAIROBI