Author Topic: Reading other than medical books!  (Read 43190 times)

Offline Moha

Reading other than medical books!
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:24 PM »
hey guys wanted to find out  how many of u are reading something else other than ur medical books!! the medical books are really too much already to bear but since my tenth grade i have been reading for leisure!.. i love reading autobiographies,biographies...the ones i read include.. my life by bill Clinton, Nothing but the truth,by Dr. Yusuf K Dawood(actually he is my mentor!)he is also the former chairman of Association of East African Surgeons, and governor of rotary district 920,i did also read a man of peace in a world of war by Stanley on Kofi Annan,the former UN secretary general,although it focuses on his professional life.. his social life has also been included..., and this winter break i have already bought that of  Nelson Mandela..! did u read THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE BY Covey.. in it he even recommends the autobiography of Anwar Sadat of Egypt..((i couldn`t get this book at my local library)) on medical writings i read DOCTORS by segul.... please do read this book...its a very fascinating book and a real page-turner!! and the extra bonus is someone in medical career will surely find it meaningful and even relaxing...he extensively uses medical terminologies..but in a way that will make u want more!!. i love reading political biographies,..i have recently did that of Benazir  Bhutto,daughter of the East..
sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur.C.Doyle is great as well....Sidney Sheldon books will stir your imaginations,he is good
i am also looking forward to reading those books by the Somali write Nuraddin Farah.. like, LINKS,YESTERDAY TOMORROW AND, CO.....
    IN addition to that,oh my god i still have to do my PATHOLOGY BASIS OF DISEASES!!! GYNECOLOGY AND OBSTETRICS BY TEN TEACHERS!!! AND DAVIDSON!!! INSHALAH waa la moodaa!!
  Lets know what u read for leisure!!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
Re: reading other than medical books!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »
I do bro, I read Non-medical books for leisure.
Although I don't stick to one type of book, all the books which come across me I would like to read as long as it doesn't contain symptoms and signs.
Medicine is where you run from reading to another reading!.( I like Medicine) ;D

Dr.Mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Sumayya

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »

Bro, Moha i have also read same books that you have mentioned in your post they are very good  i have to say try also Malcom X, Martin Luther jr,.  Let me know your opinion about them.

Offline Moha

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
hi Sumayya, i did not read those books u mentioned,but yeah Martin Luther is good i heard, i read excerpts of Malcom X,but the African-American politicians seem a bit more complicated esp those who used to fight the slavery... but a friend of mine on the Oprah Club book said she saw the new book of Barack Obama and it was hilarious...but i told her i gonna read if he wins the race!...
  its good to exchange ideas on leisure reading.... let me know the kind of books u like to read and may be point few that i read.. as bedtime story...the alchemist is good...it will make u look for your own destiny just like the character ,the shepherd turned alchemist,good omens and bad omens....

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:02:01 AM »
bro moha,
what is the title of obama's new book?
is it available in the market?
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Mustafa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
dear pharmacist,

if you mean the second book written by Obama, the Audacity of Hope, is already out there on the market.
Salam,

Mustafa

Offline Moha

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
yup u r right Mustafa....and the name of his other book if u r interested, is Dreams from My Father....

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »
Thanks Mustafa & Moha.
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Sumayya

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »

Salaama Caleikum

At the moment i dont have a  luxury time to read books unfortunately. But Insha Allah i will try it as soon as i can. Im also interested reading different islamic booksto name them few Bilaal Philips, Yasir Qadhi. They are also good to read them in your free time. 

Offline Moha

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Hi everybody,i wanted to share the idea of reading a great book which came on sale on 15th feb! by Benazir Bhutto! actually she completed it a week before she was tragically killed...its called RECONCILIATION.. if u r in Pakistan,it will cost u around Rs.1300 go get it!

Offline Amani

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
hi guys can jad its intrested bt wht about arabic ones ilike reaading (rawaic al kutub al arabiya)arabic books or arabic novels its good intrest ex nor wa catma ,al armala al cashiqa ,intidar etc

Offline Suad

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »
I'm actually addicted to reading and mostly i read fiction books but sometimes i do read other stuff too (except for  politics)  so  u can say   that it dependents on my mood 

Offline Muraad

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »
Mohamed, I used to like reading other books more than science books in my undergraduate but time restricted me to stick with medicine books now. I read some of the books mentioned above including Martin Luther King life, Malcol X, Steve Biko, Nelson Mandella, and more but the book that I liked the most was "Road to Mecca" of Mohamed Asad. I reccommend this book to anyone who like reading. There are some medical thriller books that you might like including coma, mindbend, invasion,chromosome six,and so on. These novels are very interseting in that they will help you read in your leisure while you still feel that you are in the world of medicine. They are all written by "Dr. Robin Cook", and ophthalmologist who is in Massechussets. See also, the Surgeon, and the donor for another author. There are more and I can give the list. But you can also do your own search through the web. The other good author of such medical thriller books is Michael Palmer, also, a physician.

Offline Muraad

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »
Those of you who like reading, I would suggest this book "ROAD TO MECCA" Written by Mohamed Asad. Once you start you will not stop reading it. Besides it is talking about crucial historical moments that muslim world passed mixed with the narrations from the writer's life in both Europe, Middle east and other Asian countries.

Offline The_Scientist

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
yup u r right Mustafa....and the name of his other book if u r interested, is Dreams from My Father....

I have read Dreams from my father about 2 years ago now...it's a very good book...I highly recommended it. Since reading the book I feel like I know Obama personally....he really opens up.
Malcolm X's book is a must read. It's really interesting finding out about how he discovered Islam and how his life before Islam was.

"I would like to this to be Sticky" aka.. Medical school info.

Started by DANGOBoard I want to Study Medicine

Replies: 0
Views: 20419
Last post November 08, 2008, 07:05:19 AM
by DANGO
"HENNA" & its Medical Benefits (In Somali: Cillaan)

Started by MuslimDocBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 4
Views: 54437
Last post September 04, 2011, 10:55:58 PM
by CilmiSabca
IRC Medical Officer (Kakuma) and Nurses (Hagadera / Kakuma) Jobs in Kenya

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 29990
Last post September 20, 2011, 08:59:33 AM
by Admin
"VACANCY" Medical Doctor Based in Jowhar Somalia (100%)

Started by DrkheyreBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 30856
Last post December 02, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
by Drkheyre
(VACANCY) Medical Doctor, Nurse, Assistant Nurse, Feeding Assist - MSF Holland

Started by DrkheyreBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 22146
Last post June 29, 2011, 04:43:11 PM
by Drkheyre