Author Topic: White Mice or Laboratory Mice?!  (Read 16178 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
White Mice or Laboratory Mice?!
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:33 PM »
Did you ever asked why do they use white mice for experimental studies?!
Is it right that white mice is the only animal available today which has structural and cellular mimicity to human being?
If not why they use it?
What is the difference between this mouse and house mice?
Hope someone will answer this question clearly!
-------------------------------------------------------------
By: Dr.Mahdi

"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Saleh

Re: White Mice or Laboratory Mice?!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »
Laboratory mice
Mice are the most commonly utilized animal research model with hundreds of established inbred, outbred, and transgenic strains. In the United States, they are not covered under the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) (administered by the USDA, APHIS) as an animal. However, the Public Health Service Act (PHS) as administered by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) does cover their humane treatment.

Mice are common experimental animals in biology and psychology primarily because they are mammals, and thus share a high degree of homology with humans. The mouse genome has been sequenced, and virtually all mouse genes have human homologs. They can also be manipulated in ways that would be considered unethical to do with humans. Mice are a primary mammalian model organism, as are rats.

There are many additional benefits of mice in laboratory research. Mice are small, inexpensive, easily maintained, and can reproduce quickly. Several generations of mice can be observed in a relatively short period of time. Mice are generally very docile if raised from birth and given sufficient human contact.

I think that it is obvious why they use mice in the laboratory researches the most, but why the white one among the? there are the black ones, the pinkie mice, and others. I think it might have some thing to do with history and adaptation so no body asked about why the white? and it also might have some thing to do with preferring white on black, clean on dirty household black mice. it is just a thought, but who knows these peaple are capable of doing every thing.
I think I have answered some of the question Dr.Mahdi.
thank you
Saleh Kassim.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »
Dear Saleh
Thanks for your explanatory reply
But still part of the question "Why the white mouse?" exist
thanks again
--------------------------
By: Dr.Mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Mankay

• "NO PAIN NO GAIN"
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
asalam aliakum
thanks alot saleh and dr.mahdi .. am writting about the complement of the question which was " why only the white mice?"  i ron think i can answer it better then you ..but i'll give it a try ..
   basically many laboratory white mice strains are inbred, and genetically speaking, this would mostly likely make them almost identical, unlike the house mice where they may reproduce almost to a different traited offspring by natural selection.
      And of course; the behavioral patterns of laboratory mice are significantly different from those of most common house mice due to years of lab breeding. These behaviors are much more simplistic becouse of the endoor and enclosed environment.
      but am still trying to search exactly why only the white ones been used in the labs.

mankay

The greatest mistake in the treatment of diseases is that there is physician for the body and physician for the soul, although the two cannot be separated :)

Medical Technologist (MT) vs Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)

Started by AdminBoard Lab Students and Technicians

Replies: 0
Views: 19417
Last post January 30, 2008, 03:05:11 AM
by Admin
National Programme Officer for HIV Laboratory Services, Nairobi - Somalia (WHO)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 6952
Last post December 30, 2010, 05:39:45 PM
by Admin
Puntland & Somaliland Malaria Quality Control Laboratory Established

Started by ToldoBoard Lab Students and Technicians

Views: 8291
Last post December 04, 2009, 06:42:45 PM
by Toldo
NATIONAL PROGRAMME OFFICER, LABORATORY COORDINATOR POSITION - Nairobi (WHO)

Views: 6804
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:35:47 AM
by Admin
Consultants to train veterinary laboratory personnel in Puntland and Somaliland

Views: 6798
Last post May 27, 2011, 10:06:16 PM
by Admin