Author Topic: Forgiveness May Be Good For Your Health!  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Waxbaro!

• Global Moderator
  • Aqoontu Waa Iftiin
Forgiveness May Be Good For Your Health!
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »
Learning To Forgive May Improve Well Being, according to the January issue of Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource.

Holding a grudge appears to affect the cardiovascular and nervous systems. In one study, people who focused on a personal grudge had elevated blood pressure and heart rates, as well as increased muscle tension and feelings of being less in control. When asked to imagine forgiving the person who had hurt them, the participants said they felt more positive and relaxed and thus, the changes dissipated. Other studies have shown that forgiveness has positive effects on psychological health, too.

Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting, condoning or excusing whatever happened. It's acknowledging hurt and then letting it go, along with the burden of anger and resentment.

There's no single approach to learning how to forgive. Talking with a friend, therapist or adviser (spiritual or otherwise) may be helpful during the process, to sort through feelings and stay on track. The January issue of Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource covers four steps that are included in most approaches to learning forgiveness.

-- Acknowledge the pain and anger felt as a result of someone else's actions. For forgiveness to occur, the situation needs to be looked at honestly.

-- Recognize that healing requires change.

-- Find a new way to think about the person who caused the pain. What was happening in that person's life when the hurt occurred? Sometimes, the motivation or causes for the incident have little to do with those most affected. For some people, this step includes saying, "I forgive you."

-- Begin to experience the emotional relief that comes with forgiveness. It may include increased compassion for others who have experienced similar hurt.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com

Waxbaro!

Your posts reflects your personality, so be Wise and Polite!

Offline MuslimDoc

• Muslim then Doctor
Re: Forgiveness May Be Good For Your Health!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:14:56 PM »
Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting, condoning or excusing whatever happened. It's acknowledging hurt and then letting it go, along with the burden of anger and resentment.
Waxbaro!
لبيس الشديد بالصرعة ، ولكن الشديد من يملك نفسه عند الغضب
Masha'lah waa mawduuc aad muhiim u ah, in qof dambi kaa galay aad cafiso adigoo ka aargudan kara, hadiiba caafimaad ahaan u fiicantahay waa shey cajiib ah.

Diinteena ayaaba na fartay inaan iska cafino qofkii dambi naga gala !!!

Ilaahayne kitaabkiisa quraanka waxa ka buuxa aayado badan oo na faraaya inaan is cafino qofkii gaf naga galane aan u cafino.
وَلْيَعْفُوا وَلْيَصْفَحُوا أَلا تُحِبُّونَ أَنْ يَغْفِرَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ
فَمَنْ عَفَا وَأَصْلَحَ فَأَجْرُهُ عَلَى اللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لا يُحِبُّ الظَّالِمِينَ
الَّذِينَ يُنْفِقُونَ فِي السَّرَّاءِ وَالضَّرَّاءِ وَالْكَاظِمِينَ الْغَيْظَ وَالْعَافِينَ عَنِ النَّاسِ وَاللَّهُ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
خُذِ الْعَفْوَ وَأْمُرْ بِالْعُرْفِ وَأَعْرِضْ عَنِ الْجَاهِلِين
وَإِنْ تَعْفُوا وَتَصْفَحُوا وَتَغْفِرُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيم

MuslimDocٌَ
The Muslim doctor shares with the Muslim patient the two main characteristics:
the faith in God and destiny, and the conviction that there is a cure for every disease.

Offline Sumaya

Re: Forgiveness May Be Good For Your Health!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
Very interesting...thank you Waxbaro for posting this. I can totally see the emotional relief that comes with forgiving someone...we all know the horrible feelings that we feel when we are mad at someone or feel that someone has done us wrong. After all, Allah is the most forgiving and from that we can learn. I also think it is as important forgiving yourself, as human beings we makes mistakes at times, and if we scrutinize ourselves and indwell on those mistakes, it only creates more emotional instability. So here I speak about me: As of now I forgive you, I forgive myself and I ask forgiveness from Allah.

SC Emergency Health Coordinator and Emergency Food Security Coordinator

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 19964
Last post November 09, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
by Admin
The Health Benefits of Black Seed (الحبة السوداء)

Started by MuslimDocBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 7
Views: 72428
Last post March 13, 2008, 12:41:05 AM
by MuslimDoc
WHO somalia responses health Crises in Gedo -Somalia

Started by AbdulrazzakBoard Health News and Events

Views: 16960
Last post October 09, 2011, 05:26:10 PM
by Abdulrazzak
Health Officer, Mogadishu, Somalia (UNICEF SOMALIA)

Views: 20232
Last post February 02, 2013, 09:52:53 AM
by Admin
Program Manager Health - SEEDS Program (Mercy Corps)

Views: 19476
Last post June 27, 2010, 05:52:32 PM
by Admin