Author Topic: Health Benefits of Laughter  (Read 21336 times)

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
Health Benefits of Laughter
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
The laughter puts the people in a positive frame of mind and gradually makes them positive thinkers

Anti Stress: Laughter is one of the finest, most economical and easy to practice anti-stress measures. Laughter is one of the best muscle relaxant. Laughter expands blood vessels and sends more blood rising to the extremities and other muscles all over the body. A good bout of laughter also reduces the levels of stress hormones epineprine and cortisol. It can be said to be a form of dynamic meditation or relaxation. For meditation, one has to put in a concerted effort to completely detach oneself, on mental and emotional levels, from one’s own feelings and thought processes, as well as from the physical world to prevent distractions. On the other hand, while laughing, we do not have any conscious thought process and all our senses naturally and effortlessly combine in a moment of harmony, to give joy, peace and relaxation. In other types of meditation you need to concentrate a lot to take your mind away from distracting thoughts, which is easier said than done. Therefore, laughter is, if I may say so, the easiest form of meditation, which brings you instant relaxation.

Strengthens the Immune System: Our immune system plays a most important role in keeping good health and keeping away infections, allergies and cancers. It has been proved by psychoneuroimmunologists that all negative emotions like anxiety, depression or anger weaken the immune system of the body, thereby reducing its fighting capacity against infections. According to Dr. Lee S. Berk from Loma Linda University, California, USA, laughter helps to increase the count of natural killer cells (NK cells - a type of white cell) and also raises the antibody levels. Researchers have found that after laughter therapy there is an increase in antibodies (Immunoglobulin A) in the mucous on of the nose and respiratory passages, which is believed to have protective capacity against some viruses, bacteria and other micro organisms. There are many members of Laughter Clubs who have noticed that the frequency of common colds, sore throats and chest infections has decreased. The effect of laughter on our immune system is considered to be very significant in regard to deadly disease like AIDS and Cancer.

Best Aerobic Exercise:
The one benefit almost everybody derives is a sense of well-being. After 15 minutes of laughter in the morning, they feel fresh throughout the day. There is no medicine like laughter, which gives you such an instant result. The reason for the sense of well being is that you inhale more oxygen while laughing. Laughter can be compared to any aerobic exercises except you don't have to wear fancy shoes or clothes. You don't need to sweat out hard on the jogging tracks. According to Dr. William Fry from Standford University one minute of laughter is equal to 10 minutes on the rowing machine. In other words, laughter stimulates heart and blood circulation equivalent to any other standard aerobic exercise. Laughter exercise is suited for sedentary people and those who are confined to bed or wheel chair.

Depression, anxiety and psychosomatic disorders:
The stress and strain of modern life are taking a heavy toll of the human mind and body. Mind-related diseases like anxiety, depression, nervous breakdowns and sleeplessness are on the rise. Laughter has benefited many people who were on heavy anti depressant pills and tranquillizers. Now they are getting better sleep and their depression has reduced. People with suicidal tendencies have started living with more hope.

High Blood Pressure and Heart disease: There are a number of causes for high blood pressure and heart disease like heredity, obesity, smoking and excessive intake of saturated fats. But stress is one of the major factors. Laughter definitely helps to control blood pressure by reducing the release of stress related hormones and bringing relaxation.
In experiments it has been proved that there is a drop of 10-20 mm. pressure after participating for 10 minutes in a laughter session. It does not mean that those who are taking 2-3 tablets for blood pressure everyday will be completely cured. Maybe, you will require 2 tablets if you are taking 3, or borderline high blood pressure patients may not require any medication after some time. It takes years to develop high blood pressure. It cannot be reversed in a few days or a month. But definitely laughter will exercise some control and arrest further progress of the disease.
Similarly, if you are at high risk of developing heart disease, laughter could be the best preventive medicine. Those who are suffering from heart disease and have stabilized on medication will find that laughter improves the blood circulation and oxygen supply to the heart muscles. Due to improvement of blood circulation there are less chances of forming a clot. Those who have had heart attacks or have undergone bypass surgery can also participate in a laughter Club's  laughter therapy.

Natural Pain Killer: Laughter increases the levels of endorphins in our bodies, which are natural pain killers. Norman Cousins, an American journalist who was suffering from incurable disease of the spine was benefited with laughter therapy when no painkiller could help him. Endorphins released as a result of laughter may help in reducing the intensity of pain in those suffering from arthritis, spondylitis and muscular spasms of the body. Many women have reported a reduced frequency of migraine and tension headaches.

Alleviates Bronchitis and Asthma: Laughter is one of the best exercises for those suffering from asthma and bronchitis. It improves the lung capacity and oxygen levels in the blood. Doctors recommend chest physiotherapy to bring out mucous (phlegm) from the respiratory passages. Blowing forcefully into an instrument and blowing balloons is one of the common exercises given to asthmatics. Laughter does the same job, more easily and almost free of cost. There are many individuals suffering from asthma and bronchitis who are members of Laughter Clubs. They have reported a reduced frequency of their attacks. Laughter therapy may cause some discomfort if you have severe bronchospasm. There is a small percentage of asthma cases who may get a little aggravation by doing any exercise (exercise induced asthma). Such individuals should consult their doctors before taking up laughter therapy.
One of the most common causes for frequent attacks of asthma is infection. Laughter Therapy increases the antibody levels in the mucous membranes of the respiratory passages, thereby reducing the frequency of chest infections. It also tones up the normal mucous clearing system of the bronchial tubes. Stress is another factor, which can bring on an attack of asthma. By reducing stress, laughter can improve the prognosis of the disease.

Improves Stamina in Athletes:
Since breathing capacity is one of the factors which determines stamina in sports, laughter before any competitive sports activity will increase the relaxation levels and hence, performance. Laughter, I think, can be beneficially introduced as a regular exercise in any kind of sports activity.

Internal Jogging:
There are plenty of exercises available for your body muscles, but laughing  provides a good massage to all internal organs. It enhances their blood supply and increases their efficiency. It has been compared to magic fingers, which reach into the interior of the abdomen and massage your organs. The best massage it gives is to the intestines. It improves the blood supply and helps the bowels to move properly.

Makes You Look Younger: People do exercise for all the muscles of the body, but there is no regular exercise designed for facial muscles except in Yoga. Laughter is an excellent exercise for your facial muscles. It tones up the muscles of the face and improves facial expressions. When you laugh, your face becomes red due to an increase in blood supply, which nourishes the facial skin and makes it glow. Laughing people look more cheerful and attractive. By squeezing the tear glands through laughter, it moistens the eyes adding a little sparkle to them. Laughter exercises the abdominal muscles and helps to improve muscle tone of those with pot bellies.

Interpersonal Relationships: Laughter brings people together and improves interpersonal relationships. All the members of a Laughter Club meet each other with open minds and they care for each other. You will get a chance to interact with a number of people with a positive frame of mind. Today, members of different Laughter Clubs are like family members. They know each other well; they share their griefs and sorrows. They share their joyful moments too, by meeting each other, going out for picnics etc. They organize health workshops, yoga camps and naturopathy seminars from time to time. People from various walks of life come together and greet each other with smiling faces.

Self Confidence Through Laughter: When you are laughing in a group at a public place with your arms up towards the sky, it removes your inhibitions and over a period of time you become a more sociable, unreserved and outgoing person. Admittedly, some people are initially a bit reluctant to join the laughter group, in spite of a strong inclination towards doing so, for fear of appearing absurd to onlookers. However, this is a passing phase and the very decision to join a Laughter Club opens your mind. Gradually, it also adds to your self confidence. It will also help to develop your personality and leadership qualities.
In a Laughter Club, many members are encouraged to conduct  sessions. People who were not able to speak a word in public, often become very good public speakers. The Laughter Club of Johnson Garden (Mulund) has produced more than thirty anchor persons. With the passage of time, you will observe a transformation in your personality. You develop a more positive attitude towards life. Minor setbacks or irritants in everyday life no longer cause a serious disturbance, and you learn to deal with them much more effectively.

Social Benefits of Laughter: Ongoing research shows that people suffering from depression are more prone to many illnesses like high blood pressure, heart attacks and cancer. Depression also affects the immune system adversely. Common causes of depression are social isolation and a diminishing family value system. These are much more in western countries but are now slowly affecting the east also. Laughter Clubs have helped many people to get rid of their antidepressant pills in a short period of time. The magic which has worked wonders is the friendship and brotherhood gained from Laughter Clubs. Laughter Clubs are fast developing into close-knit communities. With the spread of Laughter Clubs in every locality, each club has taken the shape of a small community, wherein its members experience a sense of affiliation and belonging to the group. Clubs are turning into  large “Laughing Families”.

Source: Dr. Kataria's School of Laughter Yoga

Pharmacist

Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Doctoor

Re: Health Benefits of Laughter
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
Thanks Pharmacist for this topic.

Let us laugh to get rid of our stress and depression..

Look at everything from the good side because “An optimist laughs to forget, a pessimist forgets to laugh.”

Doctoor

Offline Basal

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »
 ??? Well pharmacist, i am a bit confused...  ??? maybe you can help me out... Our beloved prophet advised us to limit our laughter, but doctors today tell us to increase our laughter  ???.... so here is my brain bugging question... which do you think we should follow ???

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
??? Well pharmacist, i am a bit confused...  ??? maybe you can help me out... Our beloved prophet advised us to limit our laughter, but doctors today tell us to increase our laughter  ???.... so here is my brain bugging question... which do you think we should follow ???

Good Question dear Basal!

Some people seem to have this impression that Muslims and comedy don't go together; that somehow we can't reconcile humour with our faith.

The relationship between Islam and comedy goes to the roots of the religion.

Muslims have a comedic tradition, in fact the Prophet Mohammed actually had his own jester and the Prophet himself was known to enjoy jokes and wordplay.

So I think you already answered your question ??? laugh but with a limit!!

Pharmacist
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Dr.Nadifa

• Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
PHARMACIST SINCE WHEN DID THE PROPHET (P.B.U.H) HAVE A JESTER...PLZ TELL ME WHERE YOU READ THAT ...AS IT WOULD KINDLY INCREASE MY KNOWLEDGE TOO
*Seek Help In Patience And Prayer*

Offline Basal

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
Yes the prophet had a sense of humour and here are some examples...
A man broke his fast (intentionally) during Ramadan. The Messenger of Allah commanded him to emancipate a slave or fast for two months, or feed 60 poor men. He said, "I cannot provide."

The Apostle said, "Sit down." Thereafter, a huge basket of dates was brought to the Messenger of Allah. He said, "Take this and give it as charity." He said, "O Messenger of Allah, there is no one poorer than I." The Messenger of Allah thereupon laughed so that his canine teeth became visible and said, "Eat it yourself."

On another occasion a man approached the Prophet and asked him for a camel to ride. The Prophet said, "I would give you a camel's child." The man said, "O Messenger of Allah. What will I do with a camel's child?" The Prophet smiled and said, "Is there any camel that is not the child of another camel?

Thanks for the answer DEAR PHARMACIST, but we should advise one another and here is my advise to you.... I think you should have added the following to your original post... LAUGH WITH A LIMIT....don't you agree with me, or should we agree to disagree  ???

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »
PHARMACIST SINCE WHEN DID THE PROPHET (P.B.U.H) HAVE A JESTER...PLZ TELL ME WHERE YOU READ THAT ...AS IT WOULD KINDLY INCREASE MY KNOWLEDGE TOO
It is well known that the Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) was indeed the perfect man. He was a devoted seeker of Truth, a warner and exhorter, a person of good cheer and pleasantness, a brilliant leader, a courageous and yet reluctant warrior, a statesman par excellence and the teacher of teachers. He was a compassionate ruler and spiritual leader, but many do not know that the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) had an extraordinary sense of humor!

Indeed, the Holy Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) would laugh and joke often.

He smiled often and would make jokes with members of his community. For example,

“Once, an old woman came up to him and asked for paradise. He said, “Old women do not enter the paradise.” The woman started crying. As she started leaving the room, the Prophet, showing his subtle sense of humor, stopped her and said, “Old women will become young before entering the heaven.” (Tirmadhi)

Thanks for the answer DEAR PHARMACIST, but we should advise one another and here is my advise to you.... I think you should have added the following to your original post... LAUGH WITH A LIMIT....don't you agree with me, or should we agree to disagree  Huh
Basal, I agree with you (Let us laugh with a limit)

Pharmacist

Offline MuslimDoc

• Muslim then Doctor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Types of Joking:
According to ibn Hayan, there are two types of joking. The first is preferred and it is defined as, “that which Allah has permitted, which commits no sin and does not lead to separation between people.”

The second is the negative, harmful kind: “causing hostilities and sadness, and creating some of the benefits and harms of joking will clarify what is meant.

Some of the scholars have said that joking is beneficial in that it entertains, lifts the spirit and lightens the burdens of life, bringing people closer together.

In describing this kind of joking, a man wrote, “such humour does not hurt or criticize anyone. It leads a person from sadness to happiness, eases the frown and allows people to relax and be themselves.”

Joking should not deviate from the truth. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said, “I only say what is true.”

MuslimDoc
The Muslim doctor shares with the Muslim patient the two main characteristics:
the faith in God and destiny, and the conviction that there is a cure for every disease.

Offline Dr.Nadifa

• Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
Muslims have a comedic tradition, in fact the Prophet Mohammed actually had his own jester

Pharmacist

Pharmacist..i dont mean to argue with you..but you didnt understand me yet...i know our holy Prophet Mohammed (P.B.U.H) had a great sense of humor.....but never say he had a JESTER........JESTER means " a man whose job is to  stand infront of people and make them laugh"....so i think that our Prophet didnt pay a person to make him laugh...do u agree with that or am i wrong????
*Seek Help In Patience And Prayer*

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
Yes, the prophet (PBH) had his own jester and his name was Al-Nuayman.

Al-Nuayman ibn Amr

In spite of the fact that he fought in the battles of Badr, Uhud, Khandaq and other major encounters, an-Nuayman remained a light-hearted person who was quick at repartee and who loved to play practical jokes on others.

He belonged to the Banu an-Najjar of Madinah and he was among the early Muslims of the city. He was one of those who pledged allegiance to the Prophet at the Second Pledge of Aqabah. He established links with the Quraysh when he married the sister of Abdu r Rahman ibn Awl and later Umm Kulthum the daughter of Uqbah ibn Mu'ayt. She had obtained a divorce from her husband az-Zubayr ibn al-Awwam on account of his harshness and severity.

And this is some of his jokes:

Once an-Nuayman went to the suq (market) and saw some food being sold which appeared to be tasty and delightful. He ordered some and sent it to the Prophet as if it were a gift from him. The Prophet was delighted with the food and he and his family ate of it. The vendor of the food then came to an-Nuayman to collect the price of it and an-Nuayman said to him: "Go to the Messenger of God it was for him. He and his family ate it."

The vendor went to the Prophet who in turn asked an-Nuayman: "Didn't you give it to me?" "Yes," said an-Nuayman. "I thought you would like it and I wanted you to eat some of it, so I had it presented to you. But I don't have any dirhams (money) to pay the vendor for it. So, pay, O Messenger of God!"

The Prophet had a good laugh and so did his companions. The laugh was at his expense, literally, for he had to pay the price of the unsolicited gift. An-Nuayman felt that two benefits came out of the incident: the Prophet and his family ate food that they enjoyed and the Muslims had a good laugh.

Once, Abu Bakr and some companions went on a trading expedition to Basra (Iraq). Various people on the trip were given fixed duties. Suwaybit ibn Harmalah was made responsible for food and provisions. Hungry, An-Nuayman asked for some food but was refused.

He then went to a group of Arabs in the suq and said to them: "Would you like to have a strong and sturdy slave whom I can sell to you." They said yes.

"He has got a ready tongue and is very articulate. He would resist you and say: 'I am free.' But don't listen to him."

The men paid the price of the slave — 10 qala'is (pieces of gold) and an-Nuayman accepted it and appeared to complete the transaction with business-like efficiency.

The buyers accompanied him to fetch the purchase. Pointing to Suwaybit, he said: "This is the slave whom I sold to you."

The men took hold of Suwaybit and he shouted for dear life and freedom. "I am free. I am Suwaybit ibn Harmalah ..."

But they dragged him off by the neck as they would have done with any slave.

All the while, an-Nuayman did not laugh or batter an eyelid. He remained completely calm and serious while Suwaybit continued to protest bitterly. Suwaybit's fellow travellers then rushed to fetch Abu Bakr, who came running as fast as he could. After explaining to the purchasers, they released Suwaybit and had their money returned. Abu Bakr then laughed heartily and so did Suwaybit and an-Nuayman.

A man once came to the Prophet on a delegation and tethered his camel at the door of the Masjid. The Sahabah noticed that the camel had a large fat hump and their appetite for succulent tasty meat was stimulated. They turned to Nuayman and asked: "Would you deal with this camel?"

An-Nuayman understood what they meant. He got up and slaughtered the camel. The nomad Arab came out and realised what had happened he shouted in distress."

The Prophet came out and learnt from the Sahabah what had happened and began searching for an-Nuayman.

He found An-Nuayman in the ditch covered with palm branches and leaves and emerged with dirt on his head, beard and face.

He stood in the presence of the Prophet who took him by the head and dusted the dirt from his face while he chuckled with laughter.

The companions joined in the mirth. The Prophet paid the price of the camel to its owner and they all joined in the feast.

An-Nuayman lived on after the Prophet and continued to enjoy the affection of Muslims. But did he put an end to his laughter? During the caliphate of Uthman, a group of Sahabah were sitting in the Masjid. They saw Makhramah ibn Nawfal, an old man who was about one hundred and fifteen years old and obviously rather senile. He was related to the sister of Abdur-Rahman ibn Awl, who was a wife of an-Nuayman.

Makhramah was blind. He was so weak that he could hardly move from his place in the Masjid. He got up to urinate and might have done so in the Masjid. But the companions shouted at him to prevent him from doing so.. An-Nuayman got up and went to take him to another place, as he was instructed. What is this other place that an-Nuayman took him to? In fact he took him only a short distance away from where he was sitting at first and sat him down.

The place was still in the Masjid!

People shouted at Makhramah and made him get up again all in a frenzy. The poor old man was distressed and said: "Who has done this?" "An-Nuayman ibn Amr," he was told.

The old man swore and announced that he would bash an-Nuayman on the head with his stick if he should meet him.

An-Nuayman left and returned. He was up to some prank of his again. He saw Uthman ibn Allan, the Amir al-Muminim, performing Salat in the Masjid. Uthman was never distracted when he stood for Prayer. An-Nuayman also saw Makhramah. He went up to him an d in a changed voice said: "Do you want to get at an-Nuayman?"

The old man remembered what an-Nuayman had done. He remembered his vow and shouted: "Yes, where is he?" An-Nuayman took him by the hand and led him to the place where the Khalifah Uthman stood and said to him: "Here he is!"

The old man raised his staff and bashed the head of

Uthman. Blood flowed and the people shouted: "It's the Amir al-Muminin!"

The dragged Makhramah away and some people set out to get an-Nuayman but Uthman restrained them and asked them to leave him alone. In spite of the blows he had suffered, he was still able to laugh at the deeds of an-Nuayman.

Pharmacist

Offline Basal

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »
Yes, the prophet (PBH) had his own jester and his name was Al-Nuayman.
Pharmacist

I agree with you that An-Nuayman ibn Amr was a light hearted companion of our beloved prophet ( who eventually lost his cheer and laughed no more), but at the same time i disagree with you that he was the prophet's OWN JESTER. He was just a lively person who lived at the time of our prophet as your post clearly demonstrates.

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
Al-Nuayman is known as منكّت الرسول in islamic history which means (Prophet's Jester).
I hope you google this word منكّت الرسول to find more information about him.

Thanks

Offline Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
yes thats correct through laugh we can get rid of our stress and tensions but there should be some option when u have lost in the shape of money or other thing then u can do that while thinking i can overcome it soon.......

Offline Jude

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »
Health Benefits of Laughter

1. When you make fun of yourself, you disempower those who would make fun of you and disarm possible confrontations.

2. Laughter dissolves tension, stress, anxiety, irritation, anger, grief, and depression. Like crying, laughter lowers inhibitions, allowing the release of pent-up emotions. After a hearty bout of laughter, you will experience a sense of well-being. Simply put, he who laughs lasts. After all, if you can laugh at it, you can live with it. Remember, a person without a sense of humor is like a car without shock absorbers.

3. Medical researchers have found that laughter boosts the immune system. The study of how behavior and the brain affect the immune system is called psychoneuroimmunology. Though still in its infancy, this science is rapidly gaining much attention as mankind strives to understand the mind-body relationship.

4. Laughter reduces pain by releasing endorphins that are more potent than equivalent amounts of morphine.

5. Humor helps integrate both hemispheres of our brain, for the left hemisphere is used to decipher the verbal content of a joke while the right hemisphere interprets whether it is funny or not.

6. Laughter adds spice to life; it is to life what salt is to a hard-boiled egg.

7. Develop your sense of humor and you will find you are more productive, a better communicator, and a superior team player.

8. Everyone loves someone who can make them laugh. The more you share your sense of humor, the more friends you will have.

9. Humor brings the balance we need to get through the turbulence of life comfortably.

10. Laughter is even equivalent to a small amount of exercise. It massages all the organs of the body, according to Dr. James Walsh.

11. a sense of humor can help you accept the inevitable, rise to any challenge, handle the unexpected with ease, and come out of any difficulty smiling.

The most wasted day is that in which we have not laughed. Don't wait until you are sick before you begin practicing laughter therapy.

Offline Dontae1

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Good to know about these health benefits, thanks for sharing this information with us, i hope
i will adopt some good habit's here.... which you mention above...

SC Emergency Health Coordinator and Emergency Food Security Coordinator

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 19976
Last post November 09, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
by Admin
WHO somalia responses health Crises in Gedo -Somalia

Started by AbdulrazzakBoard Health News and Events

Views: 16961
Last post October 09, 2011, 05:26:10 PM
by Abdulrazzak
Health Officer, Mogadishu, Somalia (UNICEF SOMALIA)

Views: 20238
Last post February 02, 2013, 09:52:53 AM
by Admin
Program Manager Health - SEEDS Program (Mercy Corps)

Views: 19484
Last post June 27, 2010, 05:52:32 PM
by Admin
MSF-OPERATIONAL CELL-BASED HEALTH ADVISOR (Based in Nairobi)

Views: 11120
Last post October 04, 2011, 08:55:20 PM
by Admin