Author Topic: What is Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)?  (Read 40033 times)

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
What is Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)?
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »
Doctor of Pharmacy programs focus on providing drug therapy that improves patients' quality of life. It involves interaction with patients and health care providers.

The field is an integration of pharmaceutical and clinical sciences.

Students will learn to initiate or modify drug therapy and disease state screenings, and to monitor and adjust anticoagulation therapy and antibiotic therapy.

They will study the prevention of adverse drug experiences, drug interaction, drug-food interaction, errors in prescription and patient noncompliance.

Graduates can become clinical pharmacists, staff pharmacists, regional pharmacy directors, pharmacy supervisors and more.

The system differs from country to country it can be 4 years up to 6 years, here in Pakistan it is a professional bachelor degree consisting of 5 years i.e. 10 semesters.

Pharmacist

Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Dr.Nadifa

• Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
Re: What is Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:09:45 AM »
Hi Pharmacist,
im studin pharmacy here in karachi so i wanted to know if we can practice medicine after we graduate by takin extra courses
*Seek Help In Patience And Prayer*

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
Sister Nadifa, That's a good question but let me explain what D-pharma really is:

D-Pharmacist is not the old classic pharmacist...

The core goal of a Pharm.D. program is to teach students the pharmacology of the drugs and which drugs are used for what conditions, Pharm.D. programs put a lot of emphasis on teaching undergraduates how to deal with patients. Roughly half of the 5-year Pharm.D. program focuses on the clinical aspects of the job, and communication skills are a major part of that.

Students have on average one full year of multiweek internships at local pharmacies, where they apprentice with working pharmacists. It's a chance for them to put into practice what they have learned about how to deal with patients and drugs. "Students learn how to translate very complex medical jargon into what a patient can understand and actually integrate within their lifestyle. Patient counseling is the centerpiece of their education.

The focus on communication--and empathy for patients--starts early in the Pharm.D. curriculum. During the first year of pharmacy school, students start learning how to counsel patients on managing illnesses (i.e., chronic respiratory conditions) and how to use medical devices (such as inhalers). "Students practice on themselves how to use these devices and see what a patient actually has to go through.

Throughout your studies, you learn how to translate and impart the necessary information so when you are in a working pharmacy situation, you not only know how to fill a prescription but can also counsel the patient on how to properly use medical devices.

Pharmacists are the main people that deal with patients, so it's really difficult to go through all that schooling and acquire all that knowledge and not be able to communicate and share it.

I think we've come a long way from the old days when we were just a guy in a lab coat in the back giving out drugs.

Hope I answered your questions

Pharmacist
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Moha

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
pharmacy and medicine are two related but different fields and pharmacists do NOT HAVE the license to practice medicine as in treating patients,clinically examining them or coming to any type of diagnosis, but pharmacy itself is a vast filed with good job prospective so Dear Nadifa, concentrate on it fully,u will be able to fulfill your dream

Offline Dr.Nadifa

• Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »
Thank you Pharmacist for answerin in that way...u some how made me stick to my field...thanx i hope i become a good pharmacist
*Seek Help In Patience And Prayer*

Offline Abdicade

• hi its me pharmacist hope will enjoy alot
    • abdicade
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »

tanx to all my dear somalis really im very excited coz im i ve seen young educated pharmacist for the future of somali insha allah and tanx again to our beloved DR.MAHDI 4his hard work.

the only thing v ve to discuss is how v somalian new generation pharmacists will make our old somalis fathers and mothers understand them the value of pharmacist coz they may nt aware of the negative and positive side of drugs.

so hard workd all my dear somalis and think ur new somali future insh aallaah will reach our goal . tanx alot im really sorry i would have interested to have discusions with u bt due to insufficient time i may ask ur opologize tanx again will hear u soon .
abdifatah

Offline Akkilucky

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
Hi friends and i m right person to clear your douts. I m AKSHAY a Pharm.D 5th year candidate from Hyd, INDIA.

The Pharm.D s really a reputed course and its not as like other professions. A large of amount of Patient related activities are involved in the Pharm.D.

As we are much aware about the D.Pharm, B.Pharm, M.Pharm all these courses can't match with the Pharm.D, but its a highest degree with loyal priority in managing the healthcare by the Pharmacist.

Its like a broad spectrum of Opportunities and mostly related to the Patient care and Research medicine.
After joining the course there was a tremendous knowledge growth and professional satisfaction i felt.
Pharm.D candidates acts as a bridge between the Doctor and Patient.

There s much to learn and implement into the Practice and help the doctors for better medication management for patient care.

I request you all pls feel free to post your queries and as i m always helpful to you for better suggestions.

Thanking you

AKSHAY
Pharm.D*

Offline Abdulrazzak

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
Hello Pharm-D students
 Iam here  glad to see you  again  Pharm-D   courses are  much more better than B-pharm .
1. we are Hopital and Industrial oriented
2.Research are more in pharm-B
3.flexibilty in all Health system
4.Respected and Newly decipilne course

Since I  have  Graudated 2 years back Iam happy wish you the  same  and you will know that soon.
thankz
Dr. Abdirizak H Mohamed
PharmD KU -PAKISTAN , Msc- KEMU NAIROBI

Offline Abdicade

• hi its me pharmacist hope will enjoy alot
    • abdicade
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
yea Akshay am very pleased to have u here...after finishing PharmD , can u do Phd straight away or u just need to do again master of pharmacy..the other point i want to say is ...if pharmD course replace the existing Bpharm. shall we see the specialized courses like pharmaceutical analysis and pharmaceutics being left out .
abdifatah

Offline Akkilucky

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
Hi dude, Nice meeting you

Yes we too hav the opportunity to do Ph.D but no need to do the M.pharm and the Pharm.D curriculum is much focused towards the drug research and Patient care modules. So there is nothing to worry when u r being with a knowledge of 360 in Pharmacy.
To my knowledge its not easy to replace the B.Pharm with Pharm.D. But it can be paralyzed for managing both Industries and Hospital setup as well. As the Indian Pharmacist is still not recognized in the community and we here to make the difference.

The courses like Pharmaceutical analysis and Pharmaceutics are not much focused in the Pharm.D. But the Pharm.D curriculum is mostly focused on the Drug Discovery, Clinical Research, Pharmaceutical care and Clinical Pharmacokinetics which are going to be bloom high in India. At present the Indian Pharma companies are investing about a 850 millions for the research and there is always a open doors for the active Pharmacists to Play their role.

I wish you to join your hands to be a part of the Modern Pharmacy vision 2020

The "5 Star Doctor"!!

Started by IsseGoleBoard Doctor's Hobbies

Replies: 0
Views: 42480
Last post February 16, 2007, 02:36:59 PM
by IsseGole
قَسَمُ الطبيب The Doctor's Oath

Started by MunimBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 2
Views: 10254
Last post July 14, 2008, 05:16:05 PM
by Munim
"VACANCY" Medical Doctor Based in Jowhar Somalia (100%)

Started by DrkheyreBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 30858
Last post December 02, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
by Drkheyre
(VACANCY) Medical Doctor, Nurse, Assistant Nurse, Feeding Assist - MSF Holland

Started by DrkheyreBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 22147
Last post June 29, 2011, 04:43:11 PM
by Drkheyre
Hadaadan doctor,nurse,pharmacist ahaan laheyn maxaad jeclaan laheed inaad noqoto

Started by Dr.NasraBoard Feel Free Here

Replies: 20
Views: 28790
Last post September 11, 2010, 09:23:06 PM
by MISK