Author Topic: Education is the key to success  (Read 13317 times)

Offline Amal

Education is the key to success
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
Hello my people.
                        I would like to congratulate the founders of this site and the contributors. Its amazing to see the numbers of Somalis in healthcare field is increasing. There are many of us who grew up in western countries and majority of Somalis especially in the United States are not going to school. What is the problem? what is this site doing to encourage people to go to school. what can we do to help people realize how important education is especially those who are in countries like United states where you can go to school and no one can stop you from becoming who you are. Why are Somalis not taking advantage of this situation. Get off from projects and make a difference in your lives. We need inspiration stories to encourage people to go to school. Go get education people, its important, I live proof of that.

Offline MuslimDoc

• Muslim then Doctor
Re: Education is the key to success
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
The high returns on universal primary education are proven.

Education impacts on human development and economic growth, and it is a fundamental requirement for democracy.

More specifically:

Education is a human right.

The Universal Declaration on Human Rights (1948) recognizes education along with other necessities such as food, shelter, and water as a fundamental human right. 

It is a catalyst for human development.

Education provides people with the tools and knowledge they need to understand and participate in today’s world. It helps to sustain the human values that contribute to individual and collective well-being. It is the basis for lifelong learning. It inspires confidence and provides the skills needed to participate in public debate. It makes people more self-reliant and aware of opportunities and rights.

It improves one’s quality of life.

Education enhances the ability of households to manage health problems, improve nutrition and childcare, and plan for the future.

Basic education provides girls and women with a greater understanding of basic health, nutrition and family planning, as well as of their own potential. Educated women marry later, have fewer children and receive better prenatal care.

• Children of mothers who have been to school are healthier, better nourished and more likely to attend and succeed in school than children of mothers who have never gone to school;
  • Education helps to prevent the labour, trafficking and sexual exploitation of children, and their use as soldiers.
  • It is one of the most effective weapons against HIV/AIDS and other diseases, and raises awareness of living conditions and environmental protection.
  • Life expectancy rises by as much as 2 years for every 1 per cent increase in literacy.

It is vital for economic development

Education is essential for economic development and eradicating poverty. It allows people to be more productive, to play a greater role in economic life, and to earn a better living.

• An adult with a primary education earns twice as much as an adult without any schooling.
  • Farming practices can be improved through basic education.
  • It is the foundation for acquiring knowledge and skills necessary to participate in and benefit from globalization and technological change.

and political stability and democracy.

Education makes it possible for people to be responsible and informed citizens, and to have a voice in politics and society, which is essential for sustaining democracy. It also provides people with the knowledge and awareness needed to promote tolerance and understanding among people.

"He who acquires knowledge acquires a vast portion." AND "If anyone going on his way in search of knowledge, God will, thereby make easy for him the way to Paradise."

MuslimDoc
The Muslim doctor shares with the Muslim patient the two main characteristics:
the faith in God and destiny, and the conviction that there is a cure for every disease.

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:47:55 AM »
Hello my people.
                        I would like to congratulate the founders of this site and the contributors. Its amazing to see the numbers of Somalis in health care field is increasing. There are many of us who grew up in western countries and majority of Somalis especially in the United States are not going to school. What is the problem? what is this site doing to encourage people to go to school. what can we do to help people realize how important education is especially those who are in countries like United states where you can go to school and no one can stop you from becoming who you are. Why are Somalis not taking advantage of this situation. Get off from projects and make a difference in your lives. We need inspiration stories to encourage people to go to school. Go get education people, its important, I live proof of that.

I belief that such a forum is the best place where students can get encouragement to enroll in schools and colleges!!
It's amazing for all of us to see such a big number in health care field from around the globe, but we need more forums about all specialties.
Sister Amal, you presented a good question: why Somalis especially in the United States are not going to school. What is the problem?
I don't know but I hope our members in USA can tell us the reason....

Pharmacist
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Amal

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:20:56 AM »
Pharmacist

Exactly!! I live and grew up in the United States, the bigest problem I see with Somali people , is lack of patience, We all want to be doctors, pharm, engineers by night, I always tell people even Rome was not built in one day!! baby steps helps, the other thing I have seen with girls, ( I don't mean to generalize or stereotype) but after high school most girls are thinking of getting married and starting a family, am like duh!! thats the least thing young girls could think of!! another problem is that since most of people live with their parents free rent, they haven't seen hard life, simply they forget their responsibility in life. For brothers????? I have no data to suppport or explain why Somali men don't go to school. My school is flooded by Ethiopians and only few Somali, medicine major, am the only Somali . Its sad!!!!

Offline Kamal

• Aqoon la'aani waa iftiin la'aan
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
it is true there is large number of Somali young men and women stuck at work  and not going to school and here is why..

refugees are coming  largely from Somali via  Kenya,upon they  arrive  to United state its only you and your family and have to survive in this country government provides small amount of welfare with condition of searching employment  and going to school, for example married couple with two children  in this state are illegible around $500 of cash for an assistant, single man is illegible for 250 per month for only 8 months, then the county who is providing  the assistant will sent you  employment agency, they (the agency) will ask the man and his wife to do 35 + 20 of job search and school, most them there is no way you can look for 35 hours each  week and only option you have to find any kind of employment and leave government assistant,
one big piece of this big problem many Somali adult do nt speak English, if you do nt speak the language no way of collage and you can n't go to hight school, adult basic education is under funded, they do nt offer many classes,
another piece of those  problem that so many Somalian in US have family back home  and they are sending  money back home in order people to survive there..
the jobs Somalian do in USA in UN imaginable to any one of you living in Asia or Africa is hard like hell, standing eight hours in production line,, you feel hurt and ache for all next day, i incourage so many young people but i have seen and i know why they can nt , there is  no enough founding to  ESL and GED or  adult hight school programs of adult education..

the children specially the one started in elementry has hope to graduate with good grade, in hight schools  there is still problem, there you will place in class by age, even if  you have never been in School, and they can nt graduate within a year...

with all that and many, i believe that is no excuse not attending school.....

so what is the solution :

Somalis  should prioritize  the education to number one
all graduate students should advocate for better education
charter school with bilingual teacher
Mentors for young and Adult 
Specific programs that adults can  master English language and obtain hight school degree
there are many funding for manorties that we do n't claim and we should look for those funding,grants,and schoolerships.
involvement with school district boards addressing our issue
Somali should learn to pay to learn,and think it is reward, education is worth and better any many.
any one with math and English skill to tutor and charge them.or fiisabilaah...it is zadaqutul jaariya..
writing books to motivate young and adult somali to  educations.or short clip of video for motivatation...lol...amal will be good actor for tat...

Finally Somali should change our altitude toward education and honor it....please cont.. this discussion

Aqoon la’aani waa Iftiin la’aan

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 03:47:11 AM »
thnx Kamal

You pointed out the problem and you gave a logic solution, but my question is: Can someone can get enough education while he/she works part time?
In diagnosis think of the easy first.
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Amal

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:35:52 AM »
 You can work partime and yet take full time classes although it is possible, it will be harder for a student to concentrate. The way I did it, I only worked every other weekend. It is better to focus with school and not work, but again its whatever works for you.

Kamal, good advice to our people, goodjob.........

Offline Kamal

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:55:42 AM »
website (  http://www.iseek.org)  waa mid ay gobolka Minnesota ugu talo gashay inay dadka,hayadaha,iskuuladka,dowladda u isticmaalan waxyaalaha la xiriira waxbarasha,tababarka iyo shaqada la xiriira waxaan loo isticmaala siyaabo kala duwan....
Plan Your Education
                         qorshaysto waxbarashadda

If you are considering schools in Minnesota, this section of ISEEK will help you identify the different types of education available, locate campuses and courses, and show you how to apply for admissions.
Search this section:

Find a School - all Minnesota schools
            hilida iskuulka kugu dhow ee bixiya fasalada ama barnamijadda aad rabtid
Find a Program - certificates, diplomas, and degrees 
                  hilida barnaamijyada aad rabtida

Find a Course - online, short-term, credit and non-credit
                      fasaladda lagu qaato onlinka
 Find Areas of Study - hundreds of academic majors
                     waxa aad doonaystid inaad ku taqasustid
 Find a K-12 Course - certified online courses

Explore and plan:
              sahmin iyo qorshe, waa arin muhiim u ah qof walba inuu ka baran dago waxbarshada.
First Steps to Higher Education
                     tilaabadda kobeed ee lagu gaari karo waxbarasho sarre, sida Dr ama qareen, iyo waxa aad u baahan tahay inaan baritid si aad u gaartid ulajeedada danbe.
Use this guide to plan your college career, find descriptions of post-secondary degrees, and a glossary of college terms.

Types of Minnesota Schools
Learn what types of schools best fit your needs for higher education.

Admissions
               somali hadii aad tahay, waxaad la imaan kartaa shahaado kasta iyo turjuman oo dugsi sare ah,
Tips and recommendations for applying for admission to schools.

Financial Aid
             Somali ku cusub wadan waxay leeyahiin rajo iyo mudnaan ka badan tan dadka cadaan ama dadka shaqayto ka badan, hadii aad sharci immigrant ku timid sida, refugee  waxaad xaq u leedahay full financial aid uu ku dhow ilaa 2000 ilaa 3000, hadba inta fasal aad qadatid ku xiran tahay....
Explore the many options available to pay for your education.

Online Learning
Where to find online courses and resources. 
   online waxaa ka bixi karo qof luuqada si fiican ugu hadla.......

K-12 Online Learning
Online learning in Minnesota for K-12 students, parents, and educators.

Short-term Training
              waxaa jira tababaro yar oo qofkii qaato uu ku helo karo shako iska fiican oo lacag fiican bixisa...
Find continuing education to certificate and licensing programs. Locate Adult Basic Education centers.

Work-based Learning
Information and resources for youth work-based learning options. Locate internships, apprenticeship programs and experiential learning

please direct this site any fellow you know in MN, and it usualfull of general use too....
http://www.iseek.org

Offline Kamal

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:27:41 AM »

check  these other sites
http://wMinnesota Higher Education Resources
Education Minnesota: www.educationminnesota.org
Internet System for Education and Employment Knowledge: www.ISEEK.org
Midwest Student Exchange Program: msep.mhec.org
Minnesota Association for College Admission Counseling: www.mn-acac.org
Minnesota Association of Financial Aid Administrators: www.mafaa.org
Minnesota Association of Private College Students: www.mnprivatecolleges.org/policy/mapcs/
Minnesota Career College Association: www.mncareercolleges.org
Minnesota Career Information System: education.state.mn.us
Minnesota Careers: www.mncareers.org
Minnesota College Savings Plan: www.mnsaves.org
Minnesota Minority Education Partnership: www.mmep.net
Minnesota Private College Council: www.mnprivatecolleges.org
Minnesota School Counselors Association: www.mnschoolcounselors.org
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities: www.mnscu.edu
eFolio Minnesota: www.efoliominnesota.com
Minnesota Online: www.mnonline.mnscu.edu
Minnesota State College Student Association: www.mscsa.org
Minnesota State University Student Association: www.msusa.net
Minnesota Transfer: www.mntransfer.org
Minnesota TRIO: www.mntrio.org
Minnesota Web Directory, Education: www.metrolibraries.net
University of Minnesota System: www.umn.edu
Continuing Education, Twin Cities: www.cce.umn.edu
Continuing Education, Duluth: www.d.umn.edu/ce/
Continuing Education, Morris: www.mrs.umn.edu/cerp/
Continuing Education, Crookston: cal.umcrookston.edu
Minnesota Extension Service: www.extension.umn.edu/offices/
University of Minnesota Student Senate: www1.umn.edu/usenate/
Related Links:

State of Students of Color Report
Quick Links to Campuses in Minnesota
Grants & Scholarships Offered By Minnesota Institutions

ww.mnscu.edu/media/publications/pdf/2002somali.pdf

UNICEF & Japan Support Improved Education & Health for Vulnerable Somali Childrn

Started by AdminBoard Humanitarian Aid Organizations

Replies: 0
Views: 34811
Last post January 14, 2011, 08:17:32 PM
by Admin
Midwifery Education Consultant - Hargeisa, Somaliland, Somalia (UNFPA)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 5000
Last post March 25, 2011, 11:34:37 PM
by Admin
EVENT: Health Education about Infertility by Fartun Weli

Started by AdminBoard Health News and Events

Views: 9933
Last post December 24, 2010, 08:23:57 AM
by Admin
Education Gives Nomadic Girl a Chance to Dream of Being a DOCTOR