Medical Student Forums > Fresh Students

Medicine as a career

<< < (3/4) > >>

London_Medic:

--- Quote from: Dr.Ciise on May 06, 2007, 10:38:55 AM ---That is a simple question dear Hanna, but only for those who had really thought of it before they made the choice.
Many somali students, let's say 90% of them, only think of Medicine as a specialty after graduation from high school. Engineering is the second choice for these students incase they dont get medicine. This is an example for the great misfortune we have as somalians.
It can be ok that the perfect students think of these two different specialities because of their ability, but not all somali people. even parents can not understand if the students says that he doesn't want medicine or engineering, they think that these are the only specialites available.
There are two things that are very essential to consider before applicating to medicine or any faculty else. Vision is number 1, you have to see clearly your path from this moment to the end of your way, it doesn't need further explanation. Mission is number 2, you have to have a clear humanitarian or other wise understandable purpose for being a doctor, like to help the sick and poor, or to be a highly respected member of your community and so on.

For me, I had the vision and the mission too, thank Allah. And the aportunity came to me from no where, and then I embraced it and we will see the rest.
Thank you for the perfect question Hanna.
Ciise Dheere.

--- End quote ---

More than 90% opt for pharmacy if they don't get into medicine rather than engineering.

Mohamed:
My only passion in life is being a doctor and helping people with health difficulties. I have been interested in medicine since childhood. This curiosity began, when at the age of five I accompanied my mum to the hospital for a blood test. I was mesmerized by this miracle of life and by the thought of being involved in something as wonderful throughout my life. We walked through rows and rows of patients suffering from different illness. I have always felt a particular satisfaction when it comes to helping people.

I enjoy studying science because it is a subject that encompasses so much of life's issues and practicalities, and a subject that can be applied and made useful to everyday life. Medicine is a global profession where there should be no boundaries for delivering such help. It is a career of ongoing professional development and I am determined and motivated to be a part of this 'global' profession.

Mohamed

Mapoc:
Well i had seen my grand pa who was in this field from chilhood so i
always wanted to be like him helping people so i took medicine.

Hency:
it fully depends upon the interest area of a person...i liked this field so i am here....

Williamparkar:
The main reason I went into medicine is because I was fascinated with science and life. The human body is one of the most complex machines in existence. I have always been in awe of how so many different parts can work together synergistically to sustain life. Think of a car or any type of machine. They have far less working parts than the human body, and still they can only last for so long before the engine goes out, or the transmission fails, etc. Then think of a human, and look at the average life expectancy and think of how miraculously incredible it is that something so intricate can last for so long.

As a kid I was always collecting bugs and lizards and looking at things under the microscope kit that my Dad got me. I was always the one who would help doctor up my friends when they got hurt or cut.

Then as I got older I was lucky to make some friends in a medical school near me (Wake Forest/Bowman Gray School of Medicine) and because of that got to go into the gross anatomy lab and learn on real cadavors while the med students were on break and that sealed it.

Since then I have never regretted anything. My only problem was trying to choose what to focus on and specialize in, because I honestly found it all so fascinating, but in the end I went with toxicology and have been happy with my choice ever since. I do still remain updated on other areas of medicine and will routinley do C&E to keep up with other specialities.

And in unison with Pangolin, I am a Board Certified Toxicologist and I frequent this forum a lot when I am on call and have to stay awake and have finished all of my paperwork! There are also several retired MDs and other medical professionals that frequent this forum as well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version