Author Topic: Grandmother Killed the Child!  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
Grandmother Killed the Child!
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:15:56 PM »
Unfortunately, how many people dies, died and will die of ignorance and illeteracy in our home!
This is one example of perfoming traditional medicine in illegal way
Usually those who treat illnesses in somalia traditionaly is elder people, especially grandmothers.
Amother brought her child to the hospital late afternoon bleeeeeding heavily from the mouth.
after quick history of what happen to the child, the mother informed that his lower tooth was extracted by his grandmother to stop his diarrhea, and unfortunately neither diarrhea or bleeding stopped!
there was outbreak of cholera that time, and special CTC was setup at that time to handle such situations, but the child was in emergency department to stop his bleeding, but he passed away of dehydration and hemorrhage!
there is a lot of strange stories from home that you will never believe it about ignorance and illiteracy in performing traditional medicine.
This is another story of a child who died because of iron poisoning when his father gave him half of ferrous bottle in order to stop his illness, do you know what the child had? jus pneumonia!!
the child died because simply his father killed him.
Another stories on the way.........
Regards
Dr.Mahdi

"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline IsseGole

• Global Moderator
  • I am going back to somalia, what about you?
    • Somali Medical student's forum
Re: Grandmother Killed the Child!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 06:48:02 PM »
Please admin, your stories are heart breaking.
This is not a traditional medicine, the traditional medicine proved to be correct and based on evidence in most of the cases. But this you are talking about is merely ignorance and stupidity. By the way, all somali people think they are doctors or behave like they are the professionals - even if they dont say it -.
I wish I had the chance to meet that hell of a grandmother to ask her about the relationship between diarrhoea and tooth extraction, people are not logic, and also this stupid father to tell me about the sign of anemia he saw in his son and whether a half of bottle will suddenly increase the level of Hb in his son's blood.
Another story in Yemen: a woman was complaining of terrible behaviors (Jinni), they went to a traditional therapist (Mushacwid, a lot of them are here), He simply strangulated her fighting the invisible deamon, and he run away, WHAT A THERAPY KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
I hope people would think logicly before using any treatment and even before going to a tradititional therapist or taking consultation from an stupidly lowlife ignorant.
Thank you
Ciise Dheere.
Towards a better healthy Somalia!!
Unless all parts of the society participate equally in the health process, nothing could be expected.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
Yes Dr.Ciise dheere you are right.
All somali people are doctors, and i saw that with my eyes
for example, a man will come to you, you take his history and do examination then you will send him for investigations then he will ask you: what is my problem doctor? then you will tell him confidently: you are sick with UTI or anything else because you feel so and so?
then he will reply: No doctor I am sick with typhoid, please prescribe a medication for that disease. loool
a woman will come to you and will say: please I need an X-ray? why? she will say: I have TB then you will ask surprisingly: will X-ray treat you, let me examine you and tell me what your problem is? she will refuse simply saying: X-ray please!!!
Amother will bring her child to you, the child is tottaly burned all over his body in order to treat him and he took full course of malaria!
then the child complains cough, fever, refuse breast-feeding O/E: fast breathing, nasal flaring, chest indrawing and when you auscultate him you hear chest is full of crepitations!!
then the difficult part waiting you, which is, how would you convince the mother her child does'nt have syphils? then I usually say: please take these medications, if your child did'nt improve within days please come back and take antisyphils ttt!
she will come back next week, saying: doctor you are great man, would you please prescribe the same drugs, because the grandmother is sick she has back pain, neck pain, leg pain and so on!
you will start to explain the drugs are diffirent you will never use one drug for different diseases and you will told her to bring the grandmother to you and she will be fine.
So if you plan to work in somalia, first you sould be patient, good in health education, and able to treat co-patient before the patient!
Regards
Dr.Mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline IsseGole

• Global Moderator
  • I am going back to somalia, what about you?
    • Somali Medical student's forum
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:45:29 AM »
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Dear admin, this was really funny, I hope I will be patient and every thing it needs to work in somalia.
Thanks brother,
Ciise Dheere.
Towards a better healthy Somalia!!
Unless all parts of the society participate equally in the health process, nothing could be expected.

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:53:17 AM »
Sad Story.

There are traditional medical practitioners in Somalia, especially herbalists, bone-setters and religious practitioners.
Herbal medicines are widely used in Somalia, especially for chest and abdominal symptoms; the herbal pharmacopeia is vast, and some recipes are closely guarded by practitioners.
Healers treat psychosomatic disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, respiratory and digestive diseases, and snake and other reptile bites.

Another common practice is termed "fire-burning," where a special stick is burned and then applied to the skin.
Concepts involving spirits, such as "evil-eye," where excessive praise or attention can attract evil spirits to a infant or child, can be viewed as causing illness.
Ritualized dancing is used mostly for psychosomatic disorders.

Wallahi she killed her child

Real Pharmacist
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

ACF USA Infant Feeding in Emergencies and Infant & Young Child Nutrition Expert

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 7182
Last post November 02, 2011, 11:19:09 PM
by Admin
Child Protection Project Manager NATIONAL STAFF POSITIONS, Garissa, Kenya

Views: 5218
Last post September 02, 2011, 12:46:19 AM
by Admin
Child-survival campaign reaches families displaced by conflict in Mogadishu

Started by Terror manBoard Topics in Healthcare

Views: 5881
Last post June 10, 2009, 02:21:08 PM
by Terror man
Child Protection Programme Manager, Hargeisa, Somalia - Save the Children

Views: 8946
Last post November 10, 2010, 07:42:36 PM
by Admin
Child Protection Program Manager - South Central Somalia (CESVI)

Views: 5429
Last post December 16, 2012, 02:59:42 PM
by Admin