Author Topic: Where Can I study Medicine in English outside the UK and USA?  (Read 86195 times)

Offline Anything 4 medicine

Salaamu Aleikum

Im new here, so forgive me if this topic has been posted before.

The thing is I live in Finland and would like to study medicine. As those from Finland and others too might know, its very very difficult to get into university in Finland to study medicine. I had great scores in my A-levels but that doesnt help here.
So im very intrested in studing abroad just as long as i can study in english and become a doctore. And I didnt actually take A-levels in other science than biology and math so was thinkin I might have to take the exams in chemistry and physics later on this year if necessary.

Also if anyone knows universities that offer foundation year and dont require science i would be more than happy to know.

So brothers and sisters, thank you in advance for all the help and please please just let me know anything that you think might be usefull. I really would like to start studies this year and im ready to go just about anywhere to do that.

Slave of Al-Ba'ith, Al-Wadood, Al-Haqq

Offline Phi

• وَعَجِلْتُ إِلَيْكَ رَبِّ لِتَرْضَى
Re: Where Can I study Medicine in English outside the UK and USA?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »
WAS,
I don't know about the UK but studying medicine in the US as a foreigner is a little tricky. There are only about 128 medical schools in the US and each school has about 100 seats (some have more, some have less). The applicant pool, however, is somewhere close to 50,000 students. Because of this, schools have adopted some pretty strict cut-off standards and the first one is usually nationality. A lot of schools don't accept students that don't have US citizenship or permanent residence status. The ones that do have a couple of hoops that you have to jump through first. For example, they require you to study at a US college or university for at least a year and earn a certain number of credits before they'll consider you. Also, there's this huge exam called the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) that nearly all applicants have to take. It covers general biology, general chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, reading comprehension and has two writing portions. It's very important that you score well in it. In addition to this, there's a lot of outside factors US schools consider that schools in other countries might not focus on such as clinical experience, volunteer experience, interpersonal skills, etc. I'm not sure how hard it is to get in medical school in Finland, but the US isn't a piece of cake either. There are a lot of rules and regulations. Unlike many other countries, you can't enter medicine straight from high school; you have to get an undergraduate degree first.  I hope I was able to give you helpful information. Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best.
Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
Salaams Aleikum wr wb

Thank you very much for that information. USA is officially out of the listing now. :)
I would like to study medicine in english but the thing is that i do not want to study it in the UK or USA.
I would rather study in some muslim country or other smaller countries that have universities teachin in english.

Thats why Im asking for help, incase there are people here who study medicine in english language in a country ´that isnt UK or USA.

Jazakumullah kheir again walaal.

Offline Hanna

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
A.S.C walaal,

If you wanna study in english somewhere ''close'' to home eastern european countries are a good option. There are a couple of finish students at my school, so if you are interested just send me a message :)

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
Most universities  offer medical knowledge in english & we Somali people usually search the language option with extra options like tution fees, quality of knowledge & the life cost.

For more information about these countries with a big number of sutudents who are enrolled in medical schools are listed on the home page..

If you would like also to have certain information about each country or university check the members list.
In diagnosis think of the easy first.
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Phi

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:50:03 AM »
ASA,
If you're looking into Muslim countries, I hear that Malaysia has some pretty good English based medical schools. Also, it doesn't hurt that it's a really beautiful country!
Say: Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (6:162)

Offline H_omar

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
Phi is absolutely right about the states... besides which as an International student you are looking at crazy tuition fee for school....the only places you can get into as a foreigner and afford are some of the Ivy league schools...but unless you have an MCAT of 36 and a GPA of 3.8, you don't have a shot. Also with the Ivy leagues the university you attend for your undergraduate also matters... A GPA of 3.8 is not the same for all schools....not all universities are the same in American. 

ASA,
If you're looking into Muslim countries, I hear that Malaysia has some pretty good English based medical schools. Also, it doesn't hurt that it's a really beautiful country!

Phi have you written your MCAT yet?

Offline Phi

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »
Phi have you written your MCAT yet?

Not yet! Make duaa for me  ;D. I'm to take them within the next month or so but finding the time to study is proving harder than I expected. What about you H? Are you planning to take your MCAT anytime soon?

Offline duntech

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »
for assistance of getting medicine outside uk or usa please contact me

rgds,

daniel

MR. DANIEL M.NJOROGE

Director/Student Placement Consultant.
PTI
9th Floor,Hazina Towers,PSC Wing Monrovia/University Way street
P. O. Box 55750- 00100. Nairobi- Kenya.
Tel. 020- 2533577 Cell Ph.+254 725-063286; +254 722\734-484974
Email: info@pioneerstraininginstitute.com,admissions@pioneerstraininginstitute.com
website:http://www.pioneerstraininginstitute.com,http://www.worldeducationgroup.com,
http://www.studyinphilippines.com, http://www.studyoverseaschina.com.

Foreign Universities Liaison Office <>Distance Education Placements <>
Educational Consultation.
''Quote of the day''

Offline Alif

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:15 PM »
China: English Medium

Fudan University
Zhejiang University
Wuhan University
Xian Jiaotong University
Tianjin Medical University
Sichuan University
China Medical University
Huazhong University (HUST)

Philippines:  100% English

Cebu Doctors' University
Southwestern University
Cebu Institute University
University of San Calos
University of the Philippines

Good Luck..

Offline SamawadE

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
I think Syria, Egypt, Sudan & Pakistan are the best options for you, but you need to have some money roughly between $8000-$5000 for fees only excluding your expenses for living.

1-Egypt
Ain El shams University (Arabic &English) http://net.shams.edu.eg/

2- Sudan
University of khartoum (English) http://www.uofk.edu/index.php?id=94
Umdurman Islamic University (Arabic + English) http://www.oiu.edu.sd/
Juba University (only english) http://www.juba.edu.sd/

3-Syria
Damascus University (not sure about the Language) http://www.damasuniv.shern.net/

Good luck
SamawadE

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »
Salaam Aleikum

Im soooo sorry for not replying to all of you.
First of all, THANK YOU for all the tips and help offers and the advice, sincerely appreaciate it.

and secondly, alhamdulillah, i did finally get into medicine, UK after all :)

Jazakumullah Kheyr !

Offline Noney

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
hey . there is also GMU in UAE  ajman

Offline DRTOBE

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »
One of my friend study in Poland now - Poznan Uni. and he said there are more than one Medical Uni. in Poland which teach by English. He said students there are from many different countries and he seems enjoyed that life there a lot!  ;D

Offline Chow

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
Malaysia has medicine programmes conducted in English by reputable universities and university colleges!

Here are the profile of some of our universities offering medicine programmes, also details on the medicine courses offered:

(1) International Medical University - List of Courses Offered
(2) Monash University Sunway Campus - MBBS Programme
(3) Taylor's University Lakeside Campus - MBBS Programme
(4) MAHSA University College - List of Courses Offered
(5) UCSI University - Doctor of Medicine
(6) INTI International University - Physiotherapy, Traditional Chinese Medicine Programme

Most programmes will require international students to have done IELTS and TOEFL.
Students without IELTS/TOEFL may be required to take an English Placement Test, and English classes, based on the results of their English Placement Test.

Do feel free to contact us at enquiry@campusmalaysia.com for information on admissions, our universities and details about studying and living in Malaysia. Our website is www.campusmalaysia.com

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30597
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 45150
Last post February 11, 2007, 12:34:45 PM
by Admin