Medical Student Forums > I want to Study Medicine

Why Medicine?!

(1/9) > >>

Admin:
Most people answer this question by saying, I want to help people. This is a perfectly legitimate response, but there are many ways to help people. Teachers help people. So do hospital administrators, social workers, entertainers, and undertakers. What is it about being a medical doctor that is so attractive? What skills do doctors need in order to be successful, and are those the skills you most enjoy using?

Going to medical school is not a decision to be made lightly. For one thing, it involves a substantial time commitment: 4 to 5 years of medical school plus additional years of graduate study (residency). Second, medical school may be very expensive.

Please be logic and tell me why MEDICINE?!
Regards
Dr.mahdi

Geeljire:
Have a look down the list of threads below and you will find 'Why medicine or what's so attractive being a doctor ....Currently 15 pages long LOL. Lots of information in there. Happy reading , :)

Later,,
Geeljire

Dr.Abdikhalak:
lol ,This is a long thread, so I am going to jump in without having read every post , Geeljirr !  ;);D

Back to the original question:
I entered medicine a little before my 19th birthday (jumping education systems) - so compared to what I know now (which is not a lot but enough), I did not know very much about a career in medicine at all at that time.

It wasn't so much a question of "why medicine", I simply thought - why not?
Not everyone has a chance at med school.

A little dose of pragmatism:
Universities focus on graduating their students - the real question is, what sort of degree is going to get you a job?

Some issues can be analyzed to death.

Had I been older or "more mature", perhaps I would have mulled over things a great deal longer - thing is, I don't think the decision would change.

Waxbaro!:

--- Quote from: Dr. Abdikhalak on September 21, 2007, 02:12:14 AM ---Universities focus on graduating their students - the real question is, what sort of degree is going to get you a job?

--- End quote ---

The universities don't think about your job, it depends on you.
for example here in Somalia, if you are thinking about money, holding bachelor degree is enough for you!!
Waxbaro1

Dr.Abdikhalak:

--- Quote from: Waxbaro! on September 28, 2007, 05:58:09 AM ---
The universities don't think about your job, it depends on you.
for example here in Somalia, if you are thinking about money, holding bachelor degree is enough for you!!
Waxbaro1

--- End quote ---

Actually you totally missed my point. In fact, I was implying the opposite. In my comment, when I said Universities focus on graduating their students, I was talking about mainly the different degrees or faculties and to some extent the different students who are studying those different faculties in a University. In this regard or even in generally speaking, If Universities focus on graduating their students who are studying in their different faculties and worked their way how their students should graduate up to a certain level, for sure one will say they don't think about their student's job nor do they decide for them what sort of degree will get them a job .This was the point I was trying to make, without going into detail.

Peace !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version