Author Topic: Other topics in first year medicine  (Read 24543 times)

Offline Abdullahi!

• Do your best today coz tomorrow may never exist!
    • Somali Medical Association
Other topics in first year medicine
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:49 PM »
Is it just me or do other medical students also believe that the subjects that we study in first year medicine, like maths, computer, physics are not exactly related to medicine and are of no practical use to the medical doctor. And even if some parts of some subjects e,.g maths and physics might be related, the majority is not related...for example pythagoras theorom and sine, cosine and tangent are completely useless in medicine..and similarly projectile motion and motion graphs and so on...basically only a few topics are of use. so why dont they just teach us those topics only instead of overloading us with junk.

thanks in advance for any replies :)

Abdullahi

Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die. Everybody will die, but everybody will not go to heaven.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
Re: other topics in first year medicine
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:12:15 AM »
dr.abdullahi, you are not alone, there are also some students beleive that.
part of maths and physics relate medicine but not all of it.
math is important in treatment of some diseases like diabetes, also it's important in drug dosage.
but I don't know importance of pythagoras theorom to medicine.
but if you are going to specialize in some parts of medicine there is close relation between math/physics and medicine.
Usually these subjects are taken in the first semester or first year in certain universities.
regards
Dr.mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Abdullahi!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Ofcourse some parts of the course are related, but the question is how much of the course? I would really be interested if someone knows the answer to that question.
Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die. Everybody will die, but everybody will not go to heaven.

Offline Kamal

• Aqoon la'aani waa iftiin la'aan
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:00:16 AM »
math  is problem solving, Dr they should  figure out to solve problems,defecults, complexs medical issues, i hear while ago machanics asks the Drivers of the car as the Dr asks patients question about their health,symtoms,history,and related  Q. as a Dr you need to broad your education to every subject even cars, incase some tells this burn or injury is some car accident ... you need to ask your self can the cars cause such burns, i have seen people lying to Drs to  get pay some thing.. all i mean is broad yur educations and knowlegde to every subject it will make yu smart Dr...lol

kamal
USA
Aqoon la’aani waa Iftiin la’aan

Offline Abdullahi!

Re: Other topics in first year medicine
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »
In some specialities like forensics you may need to know about certain non-medical historical background information of the patient. It is true that a doctor needs to broaden his knowledge but i dont think that he needs to know all about cars.

Offline London_Medic

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »
Is it just me or do other medical students also believe that the subjects that we study in first year medicine, like maths, computer, physics are not exactly related to medicine and are of no practical use to the medical doctor. And even if some parts of some subjects e,.g maths and physics might be related, the majority is not related...for example pythagoras theorom and sine, cosine and tangent are completely useless in medicine..and similarly projectile motion and motion graphs and so on...basically only a few topics are of use. so why dont they just teach us those topics only instead of overloading us with junk.

thanks in advance for any replies :)

Abdullahi

The reason for what they teach at first year medicine is to get every one at the same level as you have alot of people from different background. So they want every one at that first year to be at the same level. Besides who would want to go a doc who haven't been taught maths at college. Ever thought about how that doc would prescribe the right dose of drug. Everything is important and crucial. 8)

Offline Williamparkar

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
Ofcourse some parts of the course are related, but the question is how much of the course? I would really be interested if someone knows the answer to that question.

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30614
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 45179
Last post February 11, 2007, 12:34:45 PM
by Admin