Author Topic: The Most Inspiring Health Story of 2010  (Read 17876 times)

Offline MuslimDoc

• Muslim then Doctor
The Most Inspiring Health Story of 2010
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
Woman Who Had All Major Organs Removed Becomes Doctor

During a 12-year period, Allison John had nearly every major organ in her body transplanted, but she made sure the next time she entered a hospital it wouldn't be as an ill patient, but as a doctor.

As an adolescent, John, now 32, became Britain's first person to receive a new liver, kidney, heart and lungs all in a sequence of complex operations stemming from severe health problems that had death lurking around corner, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reports.

A diagnosis of incurable cystic fibrosis at only 6 weeks old was the beginning and early start to John's health troubles, and it was followed by liver failure at age 14.
The Daily Mails reports that during her liver transplant surgery, doctors realized the urgency of the situation, later explaining that had she not received the donor organ, it was likely she would have died as soon as three days later.

The following year, after enrolling in neuroscience courses at Cardiff University, John was told she would need two more transplants. This time it was her heart and lungs.

With the surgeries a success and one college degree under her belt, John was accepted into the university's College of Medicine.

She had her last medical scare several years later. Doctors discovered the medication she was taking in order to prevent her body from rejecting the transplanted organs had caused renal failure and John would need a kidney transplant to survive, the Daily Mail reports.

This most recent surgery, where her father donated a healthy kidney, came just three years ago and coincided with the halfway mark in John's path to fulfill her dream of becoming a doctor.

"My life has been a bit of a roller coaster, and it's taken me a long time to get here, but I got here in the end," John told the Daily Mail of her 14 years spent in medical school. "I never thought this day would finally come. It's such a huge milestone for me."

As a July graduate, John is set to begin work as a junior doctor at Neville Hall Hospital in Abergavenny, U.K.

The Muslim doctor shares with the Muslim patient the two main characteristics:
the faith in God and destiny, and the conviction that there is a cure for every disease.

Offline Kasim

• "Chance Favors Prepared Mind"
Re: The Most Inspiring Health Story of 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
Fantastic!. This shows how capable is the human brain. Transplanting three major organs of the same patient and still controlling it to graduation and work. I see it is not a joke but where are we (Somalis) at currently?
"Chance Favors Prepared Mind"

Offline Kassim

Re: The Most Inspiring Health Story of 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:11:55 AM »
well, those somali in UK, 100% would have started claiming Disability alowance.
???????? ??????????? ????????? ?? ?????? ??????? ??????

SC Emergency Health Coordinator and Emergency Food Security Coordinator

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 19950
Last post November 09, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
by Admin
The Health Benefits of Black Seed (الحبة السوداء)

Started by MuslimDocBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 7
Views: 72414
Last post March 13, 2008, 12:41:05 AM
by MuslimDoc
WHO somalia responses health Crises in Gedo -Somalia

Started by AbdulrazzakBoard Health News and Events

Views: 16952
Last post October 09, 2011, 05:26:10 PM
by Abdulrazzak
Health Officer, Mogadishu, Somalia (UNICEF SOMALIA)

Views: 20224
Last post February 02, 2013, 09:52:53 AM
by Admin
Program Manager Health - SEEDS Program (Mercy Corps)

Views: 19472
Last post June 27, 2010, 05:52:32 PM
by Admin