Author Topic: How to make somali youth to be intrested in science?  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Sumayya

How to make somali youth to be intrested in science?
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »

Salaama Caleikum

I have this question that have been bothering me for a long time. I think you can guess from the title  :-\. Majority of the somali teens that I met have this idea that science is very difficult subject especially chemistry, maths and so on. There are some who are interested in this field but then give up studying in early stages, saying that it is tooo difficult we cant manage it  >:(. And my question is how to make somali youth to be intrested in science?. 

Offline Waxbaro!

• Global Moderator
  • Aqoontu Waa Iftiin
Re: How to make somali youth to be intrested in science?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:23:28 PM »
It should start from childhood.

Science can be fun, especially if you make it part of a child's everyday routine.
Here are some simple tips for bringing science into your child's life.

• Follow his interests and encourage him to explore subjects he likes. If he's a sci-fi fan, give him materials about space exploration, or try a paleontology book on your dinosaur buff.

• Make time for everyday experimentation, like observing changes in weather or the chemical reactions in cooking.

• Put scientific concepts in real-world terms. If she's studying states of matter at school, for example, take some water and freeze, boil, and melt it so she can see the scientific processes at work.

• Listen to his questions and try to find the answers together. Simply telling him the answer won't be as helpful or as empowering as conducting his own research.

• Explore the science that surrounds you — from the science programs in your community, to museums, to nature walks. Take trips together that pique her curiosity and keep her asking "why?"

waxbaro!

Your posts reflects your personality, so be Wise and Polite!

Offline Mankay

• "NO PAIN NO GAIN"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:42:29 PM »
sis i think , theres nothing you could really do, but encourage them.its good to hear your concern about that , it is somthing important and somthing should be done i guss if u placed more emphesis on them making money..lol.. that would wake them up..  but i mean med.. is only for some people you have to want it i think ... but still we need more..
mankay
The greatest mistake in the treatment of diseases is that there is physician for the body and physician for the soul, although the two cannot be separated :)

Offline Pharmacist

• Real Pharmacist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »
School play big role to make their students interest in science, and here are some points which may use toward that goal:

1- Increase the project-based and career-oriented focus when teaching these subjects.
2- Increase professional development for teachers of these subjects.
3- Start comprehensive, career-oriented instruction in these subjects in earlier grades.

Real Pharmacist
Pharmacist is highly-trained and skilled healthcare professional who perform various roles to ensure optimal health outcomes for his patients.

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »
Diagnosis mainly depend on history.
So the history of our somali youth controls their interests
- School history
- Family history
- Social history
- Environmental history
- Developmental history & so on

If the school like the one told by pharmacist, the family encourages their child toward that career, & their economic state help them
If the child grow up in environment where science and scientists are all admired, he sure tries to be one of them!

Diagnostic
In diagnosis think of the easy first.
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Sumayya

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »

Salaama Caleikum

I think all of you gave good advices. Mankay, i know somali ppl are motivated by money when it comes studying and i think it is very sad  :'(. That is what Prophet Muxammed (pbuh) warned us. He said (pbuh) that my people will love this world more and hate to die for the cause of Islam (xubbu dunya wa karahiyatul mowt) and i think it is the time were are living now. We care money sooo much these days that we dont realise what is happening around us. Now days money brakes families, parents a whole society especially in the west.

Now back to the subject  ::). It is like one of you said  it depends alot on the parents. What kind of studying back around do they have and how can they support their children. I noticed also that especially our girls tend to not to get higher education i really dont know why ?. Any points of views on that matter?.

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »
It is also related to Money (Lacagey Lacag).
Why she study high school? let us say she studied high school then university! what will she do?!
she will be married and that's the end of her long journey?
Sadly, that's how our people think.

Diagnostic
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Mankay

• "NO PAIN NO GAIN"
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:00:15 AM »
thats a good question, theres so many reasons i guss, none of them being inteligent.it all comes down too the   somali social security plan, for those of you in the west you all know what that is.for others its a system created to provide for you when you no-longer work or can not earn ur money. the system collects your income in time and you recieve it over the remaining period of your life. the somali social security system is there kids, they invest in there kids education tremendously.but i know many or most have a belief that well end of the day its the boy whose going to provide for the folks when they no-longer work.and the girl well shes going to go off and raise a family..you know. in litteral sense there raising her for others. and well thats false and as a male a young somali male i can honestly testify the status isnt that way.most of the people today that recieve education are girls, most of the people that hold and fund every aspect of there family lives are girls.i dont know about any community but i do know that recently its the somali lady or female that has been the bread winner  .espcially in places like somali where men, cant cook or do several jobs a lady can or the west where its her who gets the state's monthly grant.lol.. will give tht a nice name.(grant).lol. anyways .. thts my view of tht question.!.

mankay!

I noticed also that especially our girls tend to not to get higher education i really dont know why ?. Any points of views on that matter?.
The greatest mistake in the treatment of diseases is that there is physician for the body and physician for the soul, although the two cannot be separated :)

Offline Sumayya

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »

Salaama Caleikm

wooow, Diagnostic, i was not expecting that from you  :o. Even if she is married she can study and work too.

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »
It's not my idea sis, :o
Tha'ts what we told us ;)

Diagnostic
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Sumayya

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Salaama Caleikum

Diagnostic bro,  it is better if you could think sometimes on your own instead of listening what other say.  ;)

We can not as a nation go forward if we have that kind of mentality  :-X,

Hello Somali Doctors & to all da other Doctors from all over da world.

Started by KhatraBoard New Members

Replies: 5
Views: 31694
Last post February 12, 2011, 08:31:41 PM
by Dr.Adnan
Somali Medical Interpreter - University of Washington Medical Center

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 28786
Last post July 03, 2009, 12:11:04 AM
by Admin
"HENNA" & its Medical Benefits (In Somali: Cillaan)

Started by MuslimDocBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 4
Views: 54461
Last post September 04, 2011, 10:55:58 PM
by CilmiSabca
Health and Nutrition Program Manager ,Jijiga, Somali Region (Mercy Corps)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 38360
Last post April 16, 2010, 01:26:09 PM
by Admin
UNICEF & Japan Support Improved Education & Health for Vulnerable Somali Childrn

Started by AdminBoard Humanitarian Aid Organizations

Views: 33439
Last post January 14, 2011, 08:17:32 PM
by Admin