Author Topic: Do WE HAVE SOMALI OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS  (Read 19907 times)

Offline Sarah

Do WE HAVE SOMALI OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:29:29 PM »
Hi every one, It seems just about every one in this forum is studying either Medicine or Nursing. I am studying
occupational therapy in postgraduate. In all my placement i have never came across a somalian occupational therapist, i was just wondering whether  i get hold at least one OT. I feel i am quite alone. :'(

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Towards a better peaceful and healthy life!
    • Somali Medical Association
Re: Do WE HAVE SOMALI OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »
It's very beautiful choosing such speciality which is more humanitarian rather than medical, to be an OT person means helping people achieve a fulfilled and satisfied state in life through the use of "purposeful activity or interventions designed to achieve functional outcomes which promote health, prevent injury or disability and which develop, improve, sustain or restore the highest possible level of independence.

For those who don't know The Occupational therapy refers to the use of meaningful occupation to assist people who have difficulty in achieving healthy and balanced life; and to enable an inclusive society so that all people can participate to their potential in daily occupations of life.

Sorry being alone in this field, it's a rare profession among Somalis to be enrolled in, and hope in the near future you will come across your career mates. & by the way which are of occupational therapy you are interested in?

Regards
Dr.Mahdi
"you never cure a patient, you treat pain often but you always comfort the patient."
www.somalidoc.com

Offline Fay

Re: Do WE HAVE SOMALI OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Salam alaykum, I am not an OT but we work with Occupational Therapists in our profession. I am 2nd year prosthetics and orthotics student and I completely understand when you say you are alone in your field. I am the same to in my field so far.....there is no known Somali clinician practicing in the UK.....the only other Somali i know is a 1st year student at my uni :)

I hope more Somalis try and get into more allied health professions there is clearly a gap.
" The dikr (remembrance of Allah) to the hearts is as water to the fish. Can you see what happens to the fish when it is pulled out of water? Similarly is the state of the heart which is devoid of dikr. " — Ibn Taymiyah

Hello Somali Doctors & to all da other Doctors from all over da world.

Started by KhatraBoard New Members

Replies: 5
Views: 31679
Last post February 12, 2011, 08:31:41 PM
by Dr.Adnan
Somali Medical Interpreter - University of Washington Medical Center

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Replies: 0
Views: 28782
Last post July 03, 2009, 12:11:04 AM
by Admin
"HENNA" & its Medical Benefits (In Somali: Cillaan)

Started by MuslimDocBoard Islam and Medicine

Replies: 4
Views: 54450
Last post September 04, 2011, 10:55:58 PM
by CilmiSabca
Health and Nutrition Program Manager ,Jijiga, Somali Region (Mercy Corps)

Started by AdminBoard Medical Jobs & Trainings

Views: 38353
Last post April 16, 2010, 01:26:09 PM
by Admin
UNICEF & Japan Support Improved Education & Health for Vulnerable Somali Childrn

Started by AdminBoard Humanitarian Aid Organizations

Views: 33428
Last post January 14, 2011, 08:17:32 PM
by Admin