Author Topic: Where Can I study Medicine in English outside the UK and USA?  (Read 86281 times)

Offline Maxamad Qadar

Re: Where Can I study Medicine in English outside the UK and USA?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:14 AM »
Salaam all broz,sis!!
Here is some info which i thought might be helpful for students training outside the UK and hoping to return to practice in UK.
[/color]

Acceptable primary medical qualification

This guidance provides information for students, doctors and employers about acceptable primary medical qualifications for the purpose of obtaining GMC registration with a licence to practise.
Contents

1. International Medical Graduates
    2. Acceptable primary medical qualifications
    3. Private, UK based, medical colleges

1. International medical graduates

We use the term "international medical graduates" to describe:
We use the term "international medical graduates" to describe:

Doctors who have an acceptable overseas qualification and who are nationals of countries outside the UK, the EEA and Switzerland

and

Doctors who have an acceptable overseas qualification and are UK nationals.

2. Acceptable primary medical qualifications

All international medical graduates must possess an acceptable primary medical qualification to apply for registration with a licence to practise. In addition, international medical graduates will be required to demonstrate their medical knowledge and skills, knowledge of English, and fitness to practise before they are registered with a licence to practise.

The GMC defines an acceptable overseas qualification as one which meets the following criteria:

1. It must be a primary medical qualification in allopathic medicine that has been:

Awarded by an institution listed on the Avicenna Directory for Medicine,

or

Is otherwise acceptable to the GMC,

and

Is currently acceptable to the GMC.

2. Where a qualification is not listed on the Avicenna directory it will be otherwise acceptable to the GMC only where:

The reason that it is not listed is either because the country awarding the qualification is not recognised by the United Nations or the qualification is a primary European qualification, and, in either case,
    The qualification satisfies all of the other criteria for an acceptable overseas qualification.

3. If the qualification is listed in the Avicenna directory it must have been awarded by an institution which has a physical address in the country awarding the qualification and that address must be included on the Avicenna directory.

4. It must have been awarded after a programme of study comprising at least 5,500 hours over a minimum period of three years, or four academic years full time equivalent study. For this purpose a programme of study will:

Exclude study at an institution where the student was considered unsuitable to qualify as a doctor and has either been refused graduation or perhaps offered an alternative degree title.
    Exclude study at an institution which is not currently, or was not at the time of the student’s studies there, acceptable to the GMC.

5. It must not have involved a programme of study where more than 50% of that study (compared to the standard duration of the qualification) has been undertaken outside the country that awarded the qualification.

6. It must not have involved following a programme of study where more than 25% of that study (compared to the standard duration of the qualification calculated using total hours of study) has been undertaken by distance learning. Distance learning will include learning by correspondence, using the internet or online learning methods, self directed learning and any training or learning which is undertaken other than on a face-to-face basis.

7. Where the qualification held by an applicant fails to satisfy any one or more of the above criteria the GMC will refuse that application on the grounds that the applicant does not hold an acceptable overseas qualification.

Please check in this guidance for details of the Avicenna Directory primary medical qualifications that are not accepted by the GMC, and those that are accepted on a case-by-case basis. The GMC may exclude the primary medical qualifications from any school listed in the Avicenna directory at any time.
Primary medical qualifications not accepted by the GMC

The following medical schools are currently listed in the Avicenna Directory of medical schools but, at the present time, the GMC is not registering or issuing a licence to practise to graduates who hold primary medical qualifications obtained from those schools. Graduates from these schools are not permitted to make a booking for or to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test.

Belize
    St Matthew’s University School of Medicine
    Grace University School of Medicine
    Cook Islands
    St Mary’s Medical School
    Liberia
    Saint Luke School of Medicine
    Nigeria
    Ambrose Ali University (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    Ebonyi State University (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    Igbinedion University College of Health Sciences (this applies only to those who graduated on or after 1 April 2010)
    Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    University of Benin (this applies only to those who graduated on or after 1 April 2010)
    University of Jos (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    University of Port Harcourt (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    Senegal
    St Christopher Ibrahima Mar Diop College of Medicine
    Seychelles
    University of Seychelles American Institute of Medicine (USAIM)
    St Lucia
    Spartan Health Sciences University (this only applies to graduates who started their course of study on or before 31 December 2008. Refer to case-by-case list for those who started their course of study on or after 1 January 2009)
    St Mary’s Medical School (St Lucia)

Primary medical qualifications which may be accepted by the GMC

Primary medical qualifications obtained from the following medical schools may be acceptable for the purpose of obtaining GMC registration with a licence to practise. Doctors graduating from the following schools seeking registration with a licence to practise are advised to contact the GMC as applications will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Any doctor who applies for registration with a licence to practise with a primary medical qualification from one of these schools may be required to submit additional information, such as transcripts and details of clinical rotation arrangements, before a decision is made on whether they have an acceptable primary medical qualification.

Please note: If you are thinking of booking the PLAB test and are the holder of one of these primary medical qualifications we strongly recommend that you contact the GMC before booking the test to ensure that your qualification is acceptable. Due to the complex nature of establishing whether a primary medical qualification meets our criteria such enquiries may take time to assess so please ensure you contact us well in advance of the closing date for the PLAB sitting you wish to attend.

Antigua
    American University of Antigua
    Aruba
    All Saints University of Medicine (this only applies to graduates who transferred to All Saints following a period of study at another medical school)
    Xavier University School of Medicine (this only applies to graduates who transferred to Xavier following a period of study at another medical school)
    Cayman Islands
    St Matthew's University School of Medicine
    Commonwealth of Dominica
    All Saints University School of Medicine
    Grenada
    Keith B Taylor Global Scholars program - combined MD programme between St George's University, Grenada and Northumbria University, UK (for their qualification to be acceptable for the purposes of registration with the GMC students of the KBTGSP must have spent at least one academic year of clinical training in Grenada)
    Guyana
    American International School of Medicine
    Netherlands Antilles
    American University of the Caribbean (this only applies to graduates who transferred to the American University of the Caribbean following a period of study at another medical school)
    St James’s School of Medicine, Bonaire (this only applies to graduates who transferred to St James’s following a period of study at another medical school)
    University of Sint Eustatius School of Medicine
    Nigeria
    Nnamdi Azikiwe University (this only applies to those who graduated after 10 December 2010)
    Philippines
    University of the East Ramon Magasaysay Memorial Medical Centre
    Russia
    Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy
    Ryazan/Rjazan State Medical University
    St Petersburg State Medical Academy
    St Petersburg State I.P Pavlov Medical University
    St Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy
    Samoa
    Oceania University of Medicine
    Sri Lanka
    Malabe Private Medical College (this awarding body for this PMQ is not clear – it is either Nizhny Novgorod University in Russia or by the South Asian Institute of Technology in Sri Lanka)
    St Kitts and Nevis
    Windsor University School of Medicine
    International University of Health Sciences
    St Theresa’s Medical University
    University of Medicine and Health Sciences
    St Lucia
    Destiny University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (formerly known as the College of Medicine and Health Sciences)
    Spartan Health Sciences University (this only applies to graduates who started their course of study on or after 1 January 2009)
    Tanzania
    Hubert Kairuki Memorial University
    Uganda
    Kigezi International School of Medicine  (this school is now believed to have closed down)
    Ukraine
    Lugansk State Medical University (this only applies to graduates who transferred to Lugansk following a period of study at another medical school)

Acceptable primary medical qualifications which are not on the Avicenna directory of medical schools

There are a number of additional primary medical qualifications which are not currently listed on the Avicenna Directory of medical schools (formerly known as the WHO Directory of Medical Schools) but are regarded as acceptable for the purposes of obtaining registration with a licence to practise.

If your medical school is not listed in the Avicenna Directory and does not currently appear on the list of additional primary medical qualifications accepted by the GMC you will need to contact your medical school in the first instance and ask them to contact the relevant Ministry of Health with a view to requesting Avicenna Directory listing for the school.
3. Private, UK-based, medical colleges

There are a number of private, UK-based medical colleges that claim that the course of study undertaken substantially or wholly in the UK leads to a primary medical qualification awarded by an overseas University.

Whilst the overseas university may be listed in the Avicenna directory of medical schools based on its recognition by the country's government, the GMC is not satisfied about the status of the schools' programmes in the UK, specifically the schools' recognition by the government nor is the GMC assured that the schools are subject to adequate quality assurance arrangements. The overseas universities and their UK base are not subject to any quality assurance arrangements by the GMC. In addition, students are not entitled to apply to the student loans company for government funding towards the cost of the tuition fees.

The GMC does not register or grant a licence to practise to graduates who have been awarded primary medical qualifications in such circumstances. Graduates from these schools are not permitted to make a booking for or to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test.

Offline Anything 4 medicine

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »
Salaama Aleikum Wr wb

Thank you guys for your replies so much, Allah bless.
Just to let you know, i found all your information helpful mashaAllah and also..
I am doing my first year of medicine now and surprisingly in UK :) alhamdulillah.
I think I need a change of account name tho, something less desperate :)

Best of Luck with your lifes sisters and brothers

ws
Slave of Al-Ba'ith, Al-Wadood, Al-Haqq

Offline NaftaUroon

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
I don't know why Somalis from other countries never consider studying in the Bahamas. I know couple of Somali Doctors that studied medicine there. It is much quicker and cheaper than the USA! Check them out folks.

Offline Ina.mohammed

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
I don't know why Somalis from other countries never consider studying in the Bahamas. I know couple of Somali Doctors that studied medicine there. It is much quicker and cheaper than the USA! Check them out folks.

NaftaUroon, abayo do u know anyone who's currently studying there?? or would you happen to know anything about the schools there?  i am now studying in China and i've been looking for other options out of here, please let me know any information you might know about the universities in Cuba .. thanks

Offline Dr.Faaruuq

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
Thnks for the info bro.

What is "BONDING" means in Medicine?

Started by AdminBoard Cudurrada Haweenka

Replies: 0
Views: 30629
Last post April 07, 2008, 06:33:24 AM
by Admin
Muxuu yahay "Internal Medicine"?

Started by AdminBoard Clinical Rotations

Replies: 0
Views: 45236