Author Topic: Radiology resources  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Mysam

Radiology resources
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
Atlas of radiologic images A Harrison's electronic suppliment.

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/Lumen/MedEd/Radio/curriculum/Harrisons/Harrisons_f.htm

Introduction to Head CT scan. Teaches normal CT then can view pathological scans.
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/courses/rad/headct/index.html

Offline Leila

Re: Radiology resources
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »
salam aleykum, i have a question 2 ask. i'm a new 3rd yr med student and i just started my clinical posting. The thing is that last month while i was doing chest ward i had this lady patient who's x-ray said that she had "a homogenous opacity seen in her left hilar region suggestive of consolidation,obscurring the left hilum".this patient also had pleuritic pain and sputum production-greenish yellow in colour. the doc diagnosed her with pneumonia and sent her 2 do further tests before giving a course of antibiotics.this same patient has a mass/lump in her left breast and was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma 2yrs back.the question is can this mass be visible in the x-ray? i still have to master reading the x-ray.

Offline Diagnostic

• Professional Diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:18:46 AM »

Walaikum Salam Sister Laila, welcome to the site!

You have asked a good question, If you mean her chest X-ray which was done for pneumonia, NO, A fibroadenoma is usually diagnosed through clinical examination, ultrasound, mammography (X-ray for the breast) and often a biopsy sample of the lump.
On chest X-ray, you can see the shape, contour, regularity of the breast (breast cancer), if there is missing breast (mastectomy) or if there is silicon planted.
On examination,  fibroadenomas are oval, freely mobile, rubbery masses, not tender, not fixed to the adjacent skin, muscle, or lymph nodes, so they are mobile within the breast on palpation. It is commonly found immediately adjacent to the areola, though rarely directly behind the nipple.

Imaging:
On mammograms, fibroadenomas typically appear as circumscribed oval or round masses, which occasionally have coarse calcifications.
BUT Mammography cannot be used to distinguish whether a mass is a fibroadenoma, a cyst, or a carcinoma with certainty because of some overlap in the findings. All of the entities may appear as smooth masses.

On ultrasonograms, fibroadenomas appear as circumscribed, homogeneous, oval, hypoechoic masses that may have gentle lobulations; a smooth, thin, echogenic capsule; variable acoustic enhancement; and homogeneity.
BUT On ultrasonograms, fibroadenomas often demonstrate a typical appearance and may be distinguished clearly from cysts and carcinomas; however, fibrocystic disease with complicated hypoechoic cysts and, rarely, smooth carcinomas may mimic fibroadenoma. Atypical fibroadenomas, which are inhomogeneous or irregular in shape, may simulate carcinomas.

On MRIs, fibroadenomas typically appear as smooth masses with high signal intensity on T2-weighted images and enhancement with the administration of gadolinium-based contrast agent.
BUT On MRIs, enhancement characteristics may help distinguish fibroadenomas from carcinomas, although the enhancement kinetics and morphologic features of the 2 tumors overlap, On MRIs, they cannot be distinguished from phyllodes tumors with certainty.

Image-guided biopsy is the definitive diagnosis.

Diagnostic
In diagnosis think of the easy first.
Martin H. Fischer

Offline Leila

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »
thanx brother, the link u sent was helpful and so was information.jazaka-allahu kheiran.

Free USMLE Downloadable Resources!!

Started by AdminBoard Board Exams (USMLE/PLAB/MRCP)

Replies: 1
Views: 24953
Last post April 11, 2008, 07:25:13 PM
by Mysam
Ebola Resources Are Available from Lancet

Started by AdminBoard Health News and Events

Replies: 0
Views: 17378
Last post October 15, 2014, 07:54:53 PM
by Admin